Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any boat mechanics here?

Derek j

Knox Co.
I have an 1988 40hp evinrude that is having some issues. I replaced the impeller, dumped the VRO pumps for a standard fuel pump, and did some routine maintenance early last year. Have only had the boat out a few times since then, and continue to have the same problem. Motor will go into forward gear fine, but just clicks when trying to go into reverse. I bought a new shift cable, thinking there was too much play in the old one, but it didn't help. I am thinking its the shift linkage not aligned properly with the shift rod, but not sure. And also....can anyone tell me how to get the damn play out of throttle and shift cables? It's driving me nuts!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When you replaced the impeller did it happen right afterwards???? I believe that you have too have the shifter in gear when you drop the lower unit...... I'm thinking its reverse as well.... May have too drop the lower unit and make sue its in reverse this time if you didn't do origanally....

Derek j

Knox Co.
I can't remember if it was in reverse or not when I dropped lower unit. I'm almost 100% sure it's in the shift rod, which would explain why it won't go in reverse. Trying to get all the play out of the cables is my biggest problem. I have tried everything I can think of and it still has way too much play. I either have WOT (wide open throttle) and no quick start (choke position), or full quick start and no WOT. Stupid outboards.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That sounds like a throttle shifter problem.... OMC control has a screw that holds a plate in place too keep tension on the linkage.... It may have come loose and causing your sloppy linkage problem..... Did you have any shifting problems before the impeller change or right after it?????

Derek j

Knox Co.
I couldn't answer that question. I. Bought the motor from a guy who left it in his barn for eight years. The controls were not hooked up to it when i bought it. I replaced the VRO pump and rebuilt the carbs, replacing lines and all. It runs like a top, but I don't have a clue on the cables and adjusting them. I will check the thumbscrew when I get home tomorrow and see if its loose.