Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Car Troubles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So my wife has been attempting to diagnose a problem with her Envoy this week and I have drove it twice with no luck experiencing it. Well tonight it happened and I am at a bit of a loss. We were cruising along at 55 and I let off the gas and it felt like the car almost died. The brake pedal became stiff and when I got on the gas after we made out turn, it was real sluggish. It spit and sputtered for a good 3-4 minutes before I shut it off.

It has a full tank of gas. Fuel pump maybe?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Sounds like either Air or Fuel to me. Fuel pump/filter or possibly Catalytic converter maybe?

I'm not car guru so those are just ideas. Any issues when trying to start it or during idle? Or just when you are running down the road?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
fuel pump sounds right, I am by no means a mechanic!

I will be with my buddy tonight, and I think he had the same thing happen to him before, Ill ask him for you. He is real good with this shit.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No issues starting or idling. She thinks alternator because her old car acted the same way when it went out. But it doesn't dim the lights when you turn on other things, etc. I don't think that's it.

epe

Lancaster
No issues starting or idling. She thinks alternator because her old car acted the same way when it went out. But it doesn't dim the lights when you turn on other things, etc. I don't think that's it.

I don't think its that... Easy to test it though....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cars these days do some funny shit when the alternator or battery is going bad. And the colder temps lately certainly put a bit more stress on electrical systems. I'd have the battery and alternator checked first, since it's an easy/free check. Then if that's not it I'd consider replacing the fuel pump and/or fuel filter.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Could be a throttle body issue also due to all the sensors it has. Google throttle positioning sensor.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
O2 sensor. Just my guess.

I have a fool-proof way of fixing things. I have a buddy that owns an automotive repair shop. I drop our vehicles off at his place and he calls me when it's fixed. I have no idea what is in his parking lot, but every time I leave a car, truck, go cart or boat there, it comes back to me like new. :)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jesse how long has it done it? Has she filled up a couple times? Any ck engine light on? Code read is a good starting point but typically their readers are pretty basic and will give you the system too look at versus the exact component that's bad....

How many miles on it?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JB makes a good point. When it starts to get cold batteries tend to die causing an alternator to work harder. If you have a weak battery you can get random crazy issues with the computer. I would at least get it checked for peace of mind.

That said, given what i am hearing it could be just about anything. Sensor, catalytic converter, O2 sensor, fuel filter, or just about anything.

I am trying to figure out why the brakes would feel stiff though if it is a sensor or fuel or exhaust issue. For this reason, I think a computer issue throwing random signals would be a starting place. I would start battery just to make sure the computer is getting the juice it needs to function properly. Outside of this basic check, you darn near need a tech to diagnose it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Vacuum lk could cause the brake issue but you would think it'd do it all the time.... stiff brakes could mean it was stalling or the rpm was so low too reduce the vacuum which would make the brake pedal stiff....

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
A van my wife had did the same thing Jesse and it ended up being the EGR valve, it would almost die and then run rough for several minutes afterwards or until you shut it off and restarted it

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We've had it scanned before and the O2 sensor and EGR valve have both showed up. The check engine light has been on for a month or so. I imagine it would be time to fix those. I was always told all the O2 sensor would do is lower gas mileage. No clue on the EGR valve.

Huckleberry Finn

I've always been under the impression that unless you like to hug trees (or it effects performance), o2 valves are not worth anything...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oxygen sensors that go bad rob power and drop your gas mileage.... egr valves stick open and will give the symptoms you've described but never heard of them that severe but doesn't mean it can't happen.... if it does it again open the hood while its running and tap the egr valve with w hammer firm but not too hard and see if it stops missing ..... that's the test for it lol.... there's a screen under the valve and sometimes they get plugged up and cause problems especially if the car is driven short distances and the engine doesn't get warmed up all the time....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The two front o2 sensors check the exhaust for the tight air fuel mixture. Too lean or too rich. The rear two behind the cats check for emissions. It's a before and after reading. If its the cat or rear o2 it will throw a "catalytic efficiency below threshold" if it's the front one controlling air fuel mixture shell run like crap and you'll get bad mileage. But that will be constant. The computer will only reset an O2 code every hundred miles or so. Basically that o2 has to act normal for 100 miles before it clears the code and runs right again. So if it was a bad o2 you would have the problem all the time as it would never reset. I agree with the other guys. Get autozone to check the battery and alternator. Or do it yourself with a volt meter. Also. Check the main ground. It should be under the hood around the fender or on the firewall. Those can get rusted and a bad ground will cause the issues your having.

To test the egr. Unhook the vacuum line. Reach behind the egr and push the valve in, put your thumb over the vacuum nipple and see if the valve pops back out. If it does the valves bad and not holding a vacuum. Or it could be stuck that will be easy to tell as it well. Next time it has a problem reach back behind it and see if the valve is out. If its too hot try using a dental mirror to see behind it. Or as someone said wack it lightly with a hammer while it's running.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Ignition cylinder.... Think I'm crazy, go google it.

It will usually show signs of random no starts, but not always. You will not believe the issues it has caused in this truck platform.