Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Noctural

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hunted yesterday and today.

Yesterday saw 6 does at LAST light.

Today did not see a deer all day. Checked cams, and have hundreds of pics in 4 or 5 days but almost all night time. Anyone else noticing this?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's very common. Deer are nearly nocturnal this time of year, unless we get really cold temps. Really, really cold temps will put them on their feet during daylight hours, and is one reason I LOVE to hunt in January. Cold temps make unkillable deer very killable. Most of the bucks that are "eye catching" are nocturnal all year, with the exception of only a few days during the rut, and the coldest days of the season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brock hit the nail on the head. Pressure from gun season, pressure from the last few months of bow season, and the warmer temps will keep the deer bedded during daylight. A few years ago, I had a cam set over a corn pile down in carroll county... Prior to gun season I'd have hundreds of daylight pics. After gun season passed by, I never got another daylight pic of a deer until the month of MARCH!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I too have noticed this, but still normally see some deer when I hunt almost all day.

O well, Ill be back at it tomorrow, sunday, and maybe monday AM!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ditto to Brock and Ron. Don't you now that deer dig tunnels before gun season, then use their elaborate expanse of tunnels to survive the rest of the season!?! Dang kids...

lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ditto to Brock and Ron. Don't you now that deer dig tunnels before gun season, then use their elaborate expanse of tunnels to survive the rest of the season!?! Dang kids...

lmao

Reminds me of my MIL asking if deer live in caves. Wanted to know if they went into a cave to birth their young. My reply: Absolutely. Every property has a cave. Don't you have on in your backyard? lol

So while checking the tunnels, be sure to look for them in caves as well AT!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My ex-wife thought that they built little nests in the woods like big piles of sticks to which they had a hole they could crawl under like a freaking beaver. lmao

Big H

Medina
All of the shooter bucks that are showing up on my camera are still nocturnal. Once in a while one of the smaller guys shows up during the day, but the buck that I posted about earlier this year as one that I would like to see the girls get may be unkillable unless we get some extremely cold temps. I looked back through the last two years of pics, and he has not been on my camera in the daytime. He actually has been disappearing from time to time for a couple weeks at a time, but keeps showing back up around 1:00 am. The good news is that I am getting some pics of new bucks that are definite shooters. Come on cold and snow, I keep telling Sami that it isn't time to go back there yet.