Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many am I missing

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have a few of the new 69 dollar wildgame cams,

The other day I was walking past the camera like 3 times, and it never took a pic of me untill I got really close to the camera.

I then checked it, and it had a lot of deer on the cam, but I am curious how many deer are going by this camera, and it is not going off?

Anyone else ever have this problem with these cams?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's a problem with almost all cheaper cameras. What was the battery level in the camera? when the battery gets low the sensor range is decreased also.

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
I don't have any Wildgame cams but I recently found out this problem with a Moultrie. My nephew said he walked right by it and I would have pics of him. Nothing. Definitely makes you wonder how much you've missed.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't have any Wildgame cams but I recently found out this problem with a Moultrie. My nephew said he walked right by it and I would have pics of him. Nothing. Definitely makes you wonder how much you've missed.

I may be wrong here, but I believe most trail cameras detect based off a combination of motion and heat. My thought has always been that the clothing we wear is meant to keep heat in, thus making it harder for a camera to detect a change in temperature after it detects motion. I've been out with the dog before checking cameras, and she will trigger the camera from a long distance, but I can be right behind her and it won't trigger until I am way closer.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That's a problem with almost all cheaper cameras. What was the battery level in the camera? when the battery gets low the sensor range is decreased also.

I have noticed this big time good point! I will make sure I check the batteries often, but the battery was like 3/4s.

Also I had deer on there from the morning. I have also noticed at times when it will take a damn pic of a deer super far away. Seems like they are kinda sketchy.

Now that I got a job, I think I am going to try to start saving for a few more better cameras. I have one Reconxy honestly I am impressed with the trigger, but night quality of photos kind of blows if the picture is at any distance.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I may be wrong here, but I believe most trail cameras detect based off a combination of motion and heat. My thought has always been that the clothing we wear is meant to keep heat in, thus making it harder for a camera to detect a change in temperature after it detects motion. I've been out with the dog before checking cameras, and she will trigger the camera from a long distance, but I can be right behind her and it won't trigger until I am way closer.

That would make sense, but I had never known that.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If your theory is correct Greg, we would rarely get a deer's pic. Their coats insulate better than our's. I have noticed my cameras do not work nearly as well as I think they should. But, I've been spoiled by BEC. They don't miss a thing. The difference really is amazing. I think you almost have to hold the deer in front of these cheap cams to get a few pics...food or something to keep them there for a spell. I know over scrapes I may get a pic or two with a cheap cam, with BECs I'd have dozens. Of course the time delay settings do have something to do with that. I'd set BECs on a one second delay. I think the lowest I can set these cheap ones is one a minute.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
If your theory is correct Greg, we would rarely get a deer's pic. Their coats insulate better than our's. I have noticed my cameras do not work nearly as well as I think they should. But, I've been spoiled by BEC. They don't miss a thing. The difference really is amazing. I think you almost have to hold the deer in front of these cheap cams to get a few pics...food or something to keep them there for a spell. I know over scrapes I may get a pic or two with a cheap cam, with BECs I'd have dozens. Of course the time delay settings do have something to do with that. I'd set BECs on a one second delay. I think the lowest I can set these cheap ones is one a minute.

I agree, a deer's coat does a great job insulating, but it doesn't keep all that heat in. If it did, deer would have no way to regulate their body temperature. If you are layered up, say three shirts, which one is gonna be the warmest? The one closest to the body. As you go out, those layers acclimate closer to the ambient temperature. How often so you see snow stick to a deer's coat and not melt? That means it's coat is warmer than the ambient temperature.

Look it up, I'm almost positive that is how they work, and that is why they will pick up further when it is cooler out. The change in body temperature of a deer and the outside temperature is greater, allowing for more range.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I'm not sure whether Greg's theory is true or not, but the PIR sensors definitely ARE made to sense both heat and motion. In fact, if you read through the operation manuals, most cams will tell you set the PIR sensivity to LOW during the colder months, because there is more of a contrast between the animal's body temperature and the ambient temperature. Sensitivity should be set on HIGH during the summer, due to there being less contrast. I get what you're saying, Brock... Deer hair is one of the best insulators known to man... but I guarantee they still show up on a FLIR display.

buckstar25

T-county
We have 7 of the Wildgame cams, only 2 work. The D4 and the D8, I would reccomend spending the 30-40.00 on the battery pack. Whole different camera with it. They are junk but at least we figured it out and they are working. The D8 actually has an unbelievable flash/sensor range!

Also, the only way we can get good pictures is to have them directly facing the trail, gives te slow ass sensor time to send a signal! They are our early season cams and we usually put them on a trophy rock.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You all would know better than me. I don't even read the manual beyond set-up. :) I do know that the cams I have (but rarely ever use) suck in comparrison to what I've used before. They will still get a few pics, but nothing like I was used to. The other thing I know is that deer do in fact have deer piled up on their backs (where the longest hairs are), and they live quite well in environments that I would die in quickly. I freeze while they stroll about comfortably. I gotta believe my high-tech garb leaks a lot more heat than does a deer's coat.

Yep, those cams are great for feed piles and minerals when the deer spend time in front of them, sooner or later it will sense enough movement and go off. But, for those that stop quickly and move off, you are likely missing them and who knows what they are. A good quality camera will take pictures of anything, human or animal as it moves in front. About the only time you may start having some issues are when the outdoor temperature is close to our/deer's body temperature and that sure isn't this time of year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lots of factors go in to triggering a camera, but you can bet you are missing pictures. No doubt about that. And Brock is right about the BECs. Those things never missed anything...

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Wildgame cameras are the worst. I bought a cheap one, it wont trigger. I got a 120 dollar one, it worked great for a month. The batteries died, I changed them. Wont turn back on. I shipped it out today to see if I can get a replacement.

My moultries are the best. I have two of the old old 6 volt white flash model, still humming right along taking pics over scrapes. Flash range isnt too great but they are taking pics. I also have the i 65s and the i 45s. They take pics for months on end with one set of D's. They even pick up my dads flashlight beam and took pics before he got in front of the camera while he was coon hunting.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Have any of you ever tried a Covert Camera? A friend of our can get at a reasonable price. I have 2 and plan on getting 3 more. They take great pics and the battery life is quite good. One of our group members had 4,000 pics on one set of batteries! Check them out.