Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fellow Filming Buddies, I Need Input!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
As I do a lot while I'm sitting here at work, my mind wanders to hunting. I'm always trying to think of new and improved ways of doing things hunting related, but most of those ideas get tossed aside due to time and money. As most of you know, I do a little bit of filming, when I feel like toting a camera with me to the woods. Kate killed her buck from a blind last year, and we were fortunate to get it on film. I enjoy being on the ground and filming at eye level because the deer are right there, but sometimes, it's difficult to get the entire view from the blind on camera due to the limited amount of space, and amount of floor space a tripod takes up.

With that being said, I have come up with a possible solution, but I need some input! For a while now, I've been kicking around the idea of making a base that I could attach to a standard tripod. This base would allow for a camera arm (in my case, the Muddy Outfitter) to be used with the tripod. By building a base that would accept a camera arm, this would give you more flexibility with the location of the tripod, and more maneuverability with the camera. I believe the base would be very simple to machine, and in fact, if I still had access to a metal lathe, I am certain I could build one in no time at all. My only concern with this is that you might have to attach some sort of weight to the tripod to counter-balance it depending on the weight of your camera.

Now, I realize that a lot of my ideas are far-fetched, but I would like some honest input on this. Do any of you guys that film feel this would be something that you would use, or do you think it seems like a waste of time? I started to send Muddy an email today with my idea, but figured I would get some input first. I have already drawn up a couple ideas on Auto CAD, and thought about getting with my uncle who is a machinist and having him build me one.

What do you guys think. I need some honest opinions here.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good idea, Flutey!

I would think the base would be an easy fabrication, since the tripod mounting threads are a standard size. How much does a camera weigh? I'm thinking that, instead of building a complex counterweight system, it'd be easier to simply stake down the legs of the tripod. All you would need are tab extensions from the bottom of the legs, of which you can run a stake or dog tie-out anchor through.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Good idea, Flutey!

I would think the base would be an easy fabrication, since the tripod mounting threads are a standard size. How much does a camera weigh? I'm thinking that, instead of building a complex counterweight system, it'd be easier to simply stake down the legs of the tripod. All you would need are tab extensions from the bottom of the legs, of which you can run a stake or dog tie-out anchor through.

That could work as well Jim. I guess the biggest concern with that would be carrying stakes that are long enough to get a good bite into the ground. Don't think you could use something like the crappy tent stakes you get, or the ones that come with a blind.

I believe my camera weighs in around 6lbs, plus the weight of the fluid head. Some of those cameras with all the goodies weigh well over 10lbs!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That could work as well Jim. I guess the biggest concern with that would be carrying stakes that are long enough to get a good bite into the ground. Don't think you could use something like the crappy tent stakes you get, or the ones that come with a blind.

I believe my camera weighs in around 6lbs, plus the weight of the fluid head. Some of those cameras with all the goodies weigh well over 10lbs!

Yea, I'm with ya... I don't think tent stakes would cut it.

These are more along the lines of what I was thinking...

dog anchor.jpg

They'll hold a camera just fine if they'll hold a dog to a lead. And they're quick and easy to screw into the ground.

I just think a counterbalance may be a bit complicated to build. A cheap dog anchor would be cheap, easy, and would probably cut down on overall weight of the entire setup

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That is a great idea Jim! Heck! You could probably just screw that into the ground directly below the center of the tripod and run a strap it rope up and around the base somehow. Dang, you are one smart dude!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dang, you are one smart dude!

You do realize you just said this to the one and only dude you will probably ever know that got his ball stuck in the cam of his bow. lmao. I kid. That is a good idea. I had the same dilemma when trying to film Jessica's hunt.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You do realize you just said this to the one and only dude you will probably ever know that got his ball stuck in the cam of his bow. lmao. I kid. That is a good idea. I had the same dilemma when trying to film Jessica's hunt.

It could've happened to anyone... :smiley_blackeye:

lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think you are onto something Greg. You might want to have Joe pull this thread until you get it worked out. Why allow your idea to be exploited when you could benefit from it? I do like the screw in style anchor with a strap idea.

There are ways to get paid for an idea without paying for all the patent work. I forget what it is called but you basically present your idea after they have signed an agreement to not steal your idea. If they like it, they agree on a price with you and you hand it over to them. Might not be a bad idea with a little one on the way. You might not want any money for your idea, but a college nest egg for the youngster wouldn't hurt.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You are one fart stinker, I mean smart thinker man! lmao

Always scheming! Definitely sounds like a great idea though. Time to get rich!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think a little trial-and-error testing is in order. I'm not sure the single strap/rope underneath the tripod is going to be stable enough, though. I guess it'll just depend on how high the tripod is set up. Maybe sitting in a ground blind will be low enough to make it work. Sure would be nice if it did... I can see this being yet another great application for a Lone Wolf cinch strap.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I think it would be good, It does suck when you have two people in the blind, and you have to position the tri-pod and camera in there so that its not in the way, or you kick it. Then you have to get it far enough way to where you can reach it and still get a good POV out the windows and not make much movement. Something like that I could see being able to put in a corner where nothing would be in the way.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know the tripod I have is equipped with screw on/off/adjustable rubber feet. What if you made a screw on/of/adjustable foot that was essentially an anchor. Make it look like the foot on a surveyors tripod...

surveyor_tripod_with_quick_set_spreader_bars-343x464.jpg

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I know the tripod I have is equipped with screw on/off/adjustable rubber feet. What if you made a screw on/of/adjustable foot that was essentially an anchor. Make it look like the foot on a surveyors tripod...

View attachment 11913

That isn't a bad idea either, but not all tripods have that option. I start my seven day break this evening, so maybe I will send my drawings to my uncle and have him machine the base so I can mess with it and see what will work and what won't. If this is something I was going to try and sell, I would want it to be as simple as possible, and be universal for all tripods that have a 3/8" thread for a fluid head. Great ideas fellas, I appreciate the feedback!