Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need fresh antler

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Quick question for you guys....next weekend I am flying down to TX to pick up our new pup then driving back to Ohio. From the first day I get it I would like to introduce a somewhat fresh antler to it. Obviously I will be training this dog to find sheds and want to get started right away with being familiar to them. Problem is...I dont have any fresh antlers. Does anyone on here have anything from this year laying around you might not want? I am just looking for anything small...little basket six or four point, even a spike will do. If you want to sell it let me know...if you want to donate that would be appreciated and I will cover shipping regardless, just looking for something fresh. Thanks guys!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just found one, but it's off my target buck, so I want to hold on to it. If I stumble across something I can part with, I'd be happy to send it to you! Congrats on the new pup. Make sure to post some pics!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hey Dale have you contacted any local deer farms yet? They just about always have boxes of shed (or cut-off) antlers laying around. I think that'd be a good source for you.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm sorta guessing here: But I would think if you soak it in water, that should bring some of the smell and taste out in it?
May check with a deer processor also. He may let one go if you explain why you need it.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
I'm sorta guessing here: But I would think if you soak it in water, that should bring some of the smell and taste out in it?
May check with a deer processor also. He may let one go if you explain why you need it.

Another good point, thank you. I will check into that also.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Are you saying I need to go shed hunting already...

No. It was from this spring...

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
They will retain their own smell, the key is washing your smell off of it, and his. Dishwasher... My friend and I do it quite a bit, when the time allots. I have a thread in here with my buddies pup he is currently training. Every dog is different though. Out of 3 labs, we only have one who TRULY wants to shed hunt...

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
They will retain their own smell, the key is washing your smell off of it, and his. Dishwasher... My friend and I do it quite a bit, when the time allots. I have a thread in here with my buddies pup he is currently training. Every dog is different though. Out of 3 labs, we only have one who TRULY wants to shed hunt...

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. This is a versatile sporting dog, a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon that I am getting. I will be joining and getting involved in NAVHDA, but due to their tracking ability I wanted to also train it to shed hunt. There is actually a guy out west that uses this breed to hunt and track mountain lions...I thought that was pretty cool.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
You have to teach him scent discrimination. I'm still learning a lot about it. Shed hunting is a very difficult thing... The dog may be versatile, but it's usually shed hunting or something else. And finding a dog that really wants to find sheds and can scent discriminate for them is a bit of a diamond in a rough. There is a reason guys get 1500+ for trained shed dogs.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Be careful if you get cut off's from a processor rather than sheds, you would need a tag for them. I wouldn't want to see an honest guy get in any trouble.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Another thing you can do to bring the smell back is to hit it with a dremel then wash off with water. That came from a company that sells them for dogs to chew on and train with. My German Shepard lost intrest in the one that I found so I tried it and she wont put it down.. If I find some I will let you know..

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Another thing you can do to bring the smell back is to hit it with a dremel then wash off with water. That came from a company that sells them for dogs to chew on and train with. My German Shepard lost intrest in the one that I found so I tried it and she wont put it down.. If I find some I will let you know..

I am glad you mentioned this...I actually just did this to one I found in my archery room in the basement. Took it to the grinder and let the wire wheel hit it a few times. He chews on it every now and then. He is getting more interest in it though.