Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Can we go to Arkansas now....?

matt hougan

Dayton area
Sat out Sunday and had nothing even close to within gun range. Had a few geese head our way until folks in another blind decided to sky bust a pair of geese that were around 200 yards high....awesome!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
We saw some amazing displays of skybusting last weekend too... just makes you wonder what people are thinking???

Have fun in Arkansas.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
We saw some amazing displays of skybusting last weekend too... just makes you wonder what people are thinking???
Have fun in Arkansas.

return on investment...some people don't have patience to let the birds work the decoys but still get to take birds home...200yds high is a little silly, I agree!

matt hougan

Dayton area
If sky busters are looking for a return on thier investment they should not be setting out decoys. They would do better by sneaking up on birds water swatting them. If they are looking to take birds home they got all kinds of birds at Krogers. No excuse for sky busting birds when you stand in line to draw a blind, build a blind, set out decoys, buy calls, boats etc. when there are other hunters trying to work birds. All these things are designed to get birds close.

These guys hunted until noon so there should not be a time issue. These guys have a blind you can see from the far side of the lake. All decoys are set on long lines in 6' of water, many of which were set 60 yards from the blind. Their calling was terrible. Their decoys were second hand Flambeau's.

I am surprised by them because I know some of the guys they run with and they are very good hunters.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hate skybusters as much as the next guy... But I tell ya, anymore I just come to expect it whenever I'm anywhere close to public hunting. Just like in deer hunting, there are plenty of slob hunters in the duck marshes too. It truly is frustrating, especially when you think about all the trouble you've gone through to try to get birds in close to your spread. But hey, what can you do? And when it comes to decoy spreads, types of decoys, and calling... there will always be guys out there that don't quite meet someone else's standards. Some people actually take the time to learn to call properly, some don't... Some don't have a mentor to teach them proper calling... Others just plain "don't have it" and never will. It is what it is. There will always be multiple levels of experience out there in the field. When we're on the outside looking in, from our own blinds for example, we'll always make fun and/or cuss another group who we think isn't doing things correctly. But truth be told, a lot of times that other group are actually good people... They just don't know any better. If I didn't know what I was doing, but my intentions were good, I'd be upset if someone else thought poorly of me.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Me and curran watched a group sky bust so many flocks then chase them around the lake for a 1/2hr. injured and diving under the water,,they are just educating birds so they won't decoy at all!!!!!!!.......................And I am headed to Arkansas and gonna hunt Missouri the 21-25

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
We have had good callers, hunters shoot at birds to spook them from coming to us because we got the field first... One of them is a guide.. We not be the best but we won't skybust... No fun and a waste of expensive ammo...