Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Appleseed project

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The Appleseed project (official website found here) is put on by the Revolutionary War Vetrans Association (RWVA). From their website here is a brief description.
Project Appleseed is an activity of The Revolutionary War Veterans Association, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, dedicated to teaching every American our shared heritage and history as well as traditional rifle marksmanship skills. Our volunteer instructors travel across the country teaching those who attend about the difficult choices, the heroic actions, and the sacrifices that the Founders made on behalf of modern Americans, all of whom are their progeny.

Our heritage program vividly portrays the Battles of Lexington and Concord with the kind of care and immediacy that is absent from most formal schooling. Modern listeners are confronted with the danger, the fear, and the heartbreaking separations that arose out of the choices made on April 19th, 1775. They are also reminded of the marksmanship skills and masterful organization that ultimately helped set the colonists on the path to success. Those who attend gain a better understanding of the fundamental choices faced by our ancestors as they began to set the stage for the nation we now enjoy.

They do this while also providing instruction in a skill that our founding fathers had that we can also enjoy, namely marksmanship. They have shoots almost every weekend all over the nation, and the price is quite reasonable at ~$70 for both days and a Tshirt. Most of the training is done with a .22LR rifle and depending on the range centerfire rifles are also allowed.

I have been to 2 Appleseeds and they were both very enjoyable and I also learned a lot. They do not preach any political message beyond the idea that we should be involved as an attempt to stir the dormant patriot in all Americans. They do not care what banner or ideology you support, just that you get off the couch and do something.

The marksmanship deals with using peep and post style sites (think M1 Garand, AR15) to a rifleman's standard. However, they work with what you bring and teach you how to shoot a basic no frills rifle (Ruger 10/22 is just about perfect) to a Rifleman's standard using a GI style sling. The skills are very transferrable to any other rifles you may own. In fact you can get peep and post style sights for a 10/22 they are called Tech Sights.

For me, the history is some of the best part because it is not the history story you read in textbooks. It is the history as written in diaries, personal accounts from the people of Concord, Lexington and the surrounding towns the day after Paul Revere's famous ride. They also point out everything those men and women were willing to give up in order to give us this country we today call home.

The reason I brought this up is first off I thought many of you might be interested. I know the skills I learned have made me a better shot with my shotgun, muzzleloader and my rifles. Also, its a reduced if not free cost to military (former and active), females, youths and I think law enforcement, check the website. Also, many of the shoots allow camping saturday evening so it could be a cool way to hang out with some of you all this spring/summer/fall if we wanted to all try to do one. I know which ranges I would prefer for one reason or another but it doesn't mean I can't be convinced to go to another.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I've never been to one of the events. I have friends that have had some involvement. This is the first I heard about the historical aspect of them. Thanks for posting, maybe I'll check them out.