Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do you use deer decoys?

I have a pair of Renzo feeding doe decoys that have shown some success. However, I think that a full bodied doe would work better. I have to position the 2 does at a 90 degree angle to each other, so that they can be seen...no matter the angle of the approaching deer.

Once the approaching deer figure out that the decoys are fake and look like signs, they usually move on and the bucks leave much quicker.

I realize that a decoy's job is to attract, not necessarily hold the game. I just think that a full bodied decoy would work better...so, I'm shopping. I like the Flambeau doe decoys, but think that the alert position would be better than the feeding position model.

Do you use deer decoys?
If so, which brand?

Your experiences and opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm with CJD on this one. I have never done it but I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

If I was to buy a decoy I would look at the Carry Lite or the Flambeau Master Series. I have seen a couple hunting shows use the carry lite decoys with success. Even seen a buck square off on one and knock it to the ground lol.

That Miss November doe from Tinks looks a little off to me and looks goofy so I wouldn't use it. Kind of looks like the deer off of the console games and not a real life doe to me lol.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have a pair of Renzo feeding doe decoys that have shown some success. However, I think that a full bodied doe would work better. I have to position the 2 does at a 90 degree angle to each other, so that they can be seen...no matter the angle of the approaching deer.

Once the approaching deer figure out that the decoys are fake and look like signs, they usually move on and the bucks leave much quicker.

I realize that a decoy's job is to attract, not necessarily hold the game. I just think that a full bodied decoy would work better...so, I'm shopping. I like the Flambeau doe decoys, but think that the alert position would be better than the feeding position model.

Do you use deer decoys?
If so, which brand?

Your experiences and opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

I have those Renzos too. I used them and totally scared/pissed off an 8 pt. last year. I haven't used them since.

Thanks for the replies, guys! :cool:

I went to a store called Rural King, in Van Wert and they had all kinds of hunting stuff. I'll be going back there again...soon. I guess they're out of Ill., but have store in Indiana and only 2 in Ohio, Van Wert and Wooster. I'd never heard of them, but the store is kinda like a Tractor Supply, but with a lot of hunting stuff, tools, hunting/work clothes, boots, hitches, grain/feed, mineral blocks and much more.

Anyway, I purchased a Boss Babe by Flambeau and can't wait to try her out. I should've been out this morning, but this nasty sinus infection is driving me nuts. :smiley_acold: Maybe this evening I'll strike out and see what happens.

I've got her standing in the back yard, right now, so we'll see how she works. Basically, I'm just airing her out a little, before the hunt.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 said:
Maybe this evening I'll strike out and see what happens.
Well, I was out with my doe decoy and about 45 min. before last light, a half racked buck came in to the decoy. He was totally in love with it. :smiley_crush: Normally, a buck will see a doe decoy and if it doesn't pay any attention to him, he'll leave. This guy hung around for 15 min. or so.

I'm going back out in the morning and hope to see a doe.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I have a full body deer decoy
The first year , I put the plastic rack on it

And a decent 8 point came in and trashed the decoy
It was jumping around so much , I never got a shot

I got a replacment head and have used it several times since
Never had a big buck show interest
But medium and smaller bucks show real interest

If the wind drops tonight
I will try it in the AM

John