Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question

Lundy

Antlers or horns?

Gun season or gun law?

I only ask because I have a friend that hunts with me for the past 6-7 years that calls antlers horns and gun season gun law.

It used to bother me kind of like fingernails on a chalkboard, now I rarely notice it anymore.

To have him tell it he is from the hills of WV and that is what you called antlers if you were raised there.

So is it a culture, where you were raised thing or is it just cooler to call them horns?

Are there any other common names used in hunting, like horns, that are factually wrong that you can think off?

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Bullets for cartridges, misusing the words clip and magazine.

I had never heard the term "gun law" till I got online, still don't understand it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Technically they are antlers, but I can tolerate "horns" from people I know know better. Kinda like using slang.

For me, it's gun season. Gun law has been used a few times in my presence, but I rarely hear it.

How bout asking if you "caught" one. Had a buddy ask me that last night and it threw me off because I haven't been fishing! lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like to say "horns", just because I know they aren't. I like to ask people if they "caught" anything, again because I know they didn't. I usually refer to new arrows as new "bullets". I also refer to my boots as "shoes", helmets as hats, safety harness as noose, bra as slingshot, rest areas as "pickle park", crossbow as string-gun, multiple deer as "deers", muzzle loading rifles as muskets, ... the list goes on.

I am an ill-spoken hick, with little desire to change. :) Sadly, it's by choice.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like to say "horns", just because I know they aren't. I like to ask people if they "caught" anything, again because I know they didn't. I usually refer to new arrows as new "bullets". I also refer to my boots as "shoes", helmets as hats, safety harness as noose, bra as slingshot, rest areas as "pickle park", crossbow as string-gun, multiple deer as "deers", muzzle loading rifles as muskets, ... the list goes on.

I am an ill-spoken hick, with little desire to change. :) Sadly, it's by choice.

HA. I'm the same way dude. Whenever I think about catching a large in size, male whitetailed buck deer, I think of Swantucky!!! lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I say horns a lot knowing it isn't politically correct. Just habit I guess. They are indeed antlers. I prolly say rack just as much TOO.

Never heard someone say gun law though. I hate being asked by the city slickers if I caught a deer, I just tell em I caught em dead.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Gun law! WTH.... Never heard that one. As far as the horn issue. Antlers are cast, such as elk, moose and all deer including caribou. Horns aren't cast, on cattle, goats, sheep etc... Just sayin. I use it incorrectly sometimes. Lol.

Lundy

The guy I hunt with always calls it gun law.

I saw Jackalope use "gun law" in one of his posts recently, something about some guy he heard say it. That is what got me thinking about this.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never been around anyone using the term "gun law" so that's a new one to me. People calling antlers "horns" bothers the shit out of me... Mostly because the ones I hear it from truly don't know that there's a difference.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I seen a ton of horned trees the other day there whilest out lookin for deers markings. The next day I brought the gun law down on em. :smiley_clap:

Everyone I know from NC calls it horning for rubs. Never heard the gun law...I tend to use horns sarcastically because I know better.