Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Generators

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm in the market to purchase a small, portable generator and wanted to see what the TOO family had in their garages, or what advice you could provide. Right now, my budget is $400-500, but I would go higher if there was a solid reason to do so. This unit will essentially be used to provide relief when we lose electric and will power my freezer, fridge, window AC unit if it is the summer time, and possibly a few other small items. I've looked at a few of the higher rated generators at Home Depot and Lowes, but have not explored them much outside of that. I originally thought I wanted a Honda, but I can't shell out that kind of cash for one. This will just be for emergencies...

So what say ye TOO nation?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have a 5500 watt with a B&S engine got it at TSC. It's important to start it every month and let it run for an hour or so, keep fresh gas in it, and keep a spare spark plug.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I got a Rural King 7500 watt....ran it for 8 days straight during the power outage this summer....it never missed a beat.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sam nailed it. The key is to run it regularly. We have a similar one and it will NOT run everything. However, it will keep the refridgerators and freezers going along with the sump pump. Never tried to run a whole lot more. Fortunately, never had to.

epe

Lancaster
I have two, a dewalt and a Briggs. The Briggs is only 3500 but runs essentials..Have used it days straight. If you can hold out, since you travel wait until the next storm. People sell them on Craigslist afterwards a lot cheaper than new. Use them for the storm then dump them for cash.... I picked up my dewalt 5k for $225...

Huckleberry Finn

The little Honda ones are sweet - and start first pull, everytime. Very quiet. But, pricey. That's my only experience with generators.

Huckleberry Finn

I will say that the nicest generator I've ever seen was hooked up an orange Kubota...have you thought about looking into that option, Jesse? Guess its not at your place though.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This isn't small & portable, but I bought a Duromax 8500 this summer after those storms came thru at the beginning of July... or the end of June. Anyway, we never lost power like everyone else did, but I'll be ready just the same.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Keep an eye out now Jesse. There will be some good deals popping up on Craigslist. People need Christmas Cash and hopefully that will help you out. I always try to get it less than what their asking~~ amazing how 50-100 less than what their asking is all I have! Works about 60-70% of the time. Good Luck!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will say that the nicest generator I've ever seen was hooked up an orange Kubota...have you thought about looking into that option, Jesse? Guess its not at your place though.

I thought about this suggestion but not in the price range he suggested. Even with tractor, you will need $2400 minimum for the generator. I picked up mine (which had never been used) at an auction. I believe I had to go $1100-1200 for a 4-5yr old generator. It is not the biggest one either. Pretty much on the small end for PTO generators (10-15K) but adequate for our needs.