Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What are your hobbies ?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I thought it would be fun to share & learn what others here do with their free time.

For me, other than deer hunting & it's preparation, I have had a life long interest in model railroading. I really don't mess with it much anymore, but I have a permanent type N scale railroad that shares a building with my man cave up behind the house. It's called the " Allegheny & Cumberland " which is purely fictional, but does follow what the prototypes had & the locale as well. I love coal trains in the mountains & have even posted videos on youtube .....

My BIG passion is astronomy. I built an observatory at the beginning of this year which has a roll off roof & houses two scopes ....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's a heck of a build right there Kevin!!!

My main hobby is obviously deer hunting and all that goes with it. I consider cameras and food plots their own hobbies, not mention the constant scouting and preparation that goes in to each season. I also like to hunt squirrels, rabbits, turkey, and waterfowl. Outside of my hunting related hobbies, I play baseball and golf in the spring and summer. Baseball was my first passion in life before bowhunting and it still holds a special place in my heart. Golf has been something I've done since I was in junior golf at 12 years old, but really started taking more serious the past 3-4 years. As far as indoor hobbies go, I can't imagine having one!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Motorcycles. Hunting coyotes or squirrels. Fishing. Camping. Hiking. Pretty much anything to get me outside.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang Kevin! You're pretty handy. The train set looks aweosme and those observatory buildings are outstanding!

Hobbies besides hunting? I love riding my quad and I love traveling. I don't get to travel as much as I'd like to, but when I get older I plan on driving as many places as I can. I have always wanted to travel the country and stay off the highways and just focus on the old roads and see the small towns.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Other tha hunting, fishing is #1. I golf but suck at it. I don't play in leauges anymore but I've always been a top amateur pool player since I was a teeneager. I have supplemented my income with pool tournament winnings for a long time. Past 6-8 years I've migrated to Poker Tournaments and cash games. Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Outside of hunting and fishing, I dabble in reloading a little bit now. Also with being in the IT field, it's tough not to play with any electronics I can get my hands on. Build some PC's on the side as well as repair. I also host a card game a few times a month in my shop with some buddies.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hunt... a lot. I fish when I'm not hunting. I enjoy archery too, particularly 3 D, though I didn't do as much last summer due to other obligations. I heard my son has a new recurve coming via Santa Claus, so I am quite certain we will be attending more shoots this summer. It's something we really enjoy, and seems to help a good deal when things get serious in the fall.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kevin, your hobbies are quite impressive! You obviously have an attention to detail that I never will.

Buckmaster

Portage
Hunting and everything that comes with it
Land Management
Gardening
Canning
Wine Making
Sausage Making/Smoking
Billards
Fishing
Golf
Beer drinking
Auto restoration
Antiques
Grass mowing

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Deer/Rabbit Hunting
Bass Fishing
Shooting
Being outdoors and a lot that goes with it Shed hunting the last couple of years with lots of walking and no findings lol....

Gordo

Athens County
Hunting and all the goodness that comes along with it take up most of my free time.

I do enjoy hearing live music. For a while there in my life it seemed everything revolved around that. Not so much anymore these days.

Did the band thing, did the glass blowing 'artist' thing.

I guess i can count my monday night poker game as a hobby.

Man, I'm getting old....

lol

Kaiser878

ohio
There was a time in my life where all I did was rode dirt bikes. I raced for the vast majority of my life with hunting in between, as more of a hobby. Ive raced in just about every state. But I have also broken a lot or bones. Which is what made me rethink my choice in career.
uploadfromtaptalk1355177183243.jpguploadfromtaptalk1355177220767.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1355177283151.jpg

Now I have drifted away from the MX scene. I mostly just hunt and fish. uploadfromtaptalk1355177441153.jpg

I dabble in coyote trapping.
uploadfromtaptalk1355177494562.jpg
Like Gordo, I was into live music. My one buddy was in a band and I went all over with them. I am very musically motivated. But don't have a musical bone in my body.

Really I don't do anything other than hunt and fish anymore.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Other than outdoor related stuff, I keep a couple aquariums. I currently have a 55 gallon that is in a bit of a transition right now, almost all the fish in it died in the last few months. i have it stabilized and am getting ready to restock it. Not sure what is going in this time. i also have a 150 gallon up andd running that i got from mike a year or so ago. It is currently the home for my 3 oscars, and a full grown lace catfish.

will try to get some pics later.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Hunting
Fishing
Gardening
Football
Beer
Art
Weights
Archaeology
Aquariums
Computers
DIY Everything
in no particular order

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Hobbies Hum...... Anything associated with deer hunting, as well as other 4 legged creatures. I really enjoy hunting arrowheads. I have even learned how to knap them. It's a part of history that really intriges me. TOO find a piece that another has made and used, anywhere between 200-1000 years ago is awesome.

loose_is_fast

McClure
when i am not hunting i am racing.I enjoy every aspect of hunting and as soon as hunting season ends racing starts.I drive a dirt track street stock at our local race track Oakshade Raceway near Wauseon Oh.This will be my tenth and final season of my racing career unless i get picked up by someone else to drive for.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Hunting is my number 1. When nothing is in season, I enjoy woodworking. I build cabinets and other large items, down to making handmade pens. I made all the kitchen cabinets at my parents farm, and will start ours probably next year. I used to go to craft shows to sell my pens, and made some decent money. I sold a couple for $300 plus. I also do some reloading and bow maintenance for some friends.

Huckleberry Finn

Outdoorsfellow,

I'd love to see more of your set-up. My late grandfather was a train man and had a setup in his basement - always a work in process. When he passed, my uncle took all of this stuff out to Nevada. A few weeks ago I was in a Christmas store and nearly cried when I saw the trains.....so thanks, I know how much work and time (and money) goes into a setup like that, and that's amazing...

I like hunting, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, stump shooting, a 3d archery, and snowboarding. I on top of that I also make model airplanes, bows, knives, leather work, and I have a model railroad. I also do a lot of reading too.

My current ho layout is a very small and models a small logging railroad in northern Washington State during the 1920's. My layout is more of a test bed for DCC and other modeling techniques I am tiring. When I am less space confined I want to construct a Norfolk and Western HO layout that models N&W operations from Portsmouth, Ohio to West Virgina during the 1940s. I have a great interest in the N&W because I have two relatives that worked for N&W. I have also heard other stories from other N&W employees that worked during the steam era. Here are some pictures Outdoorsfellar. I take it you are a modern era modeler judging by your CSX GE Dash-8's and SD70's
Here are some pictures of my layout from few months ago. If I was home I'd take more current pictures and there is still a lot of work to do.
I built the sawmill from scratch. It is a scale model of the mill that once stood on the white snake river.

I like the black and white pictures.

Last edited: