Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iowa 2014/15

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I've got enough points to draw for Iowa and I'm considering going in 2014 or 15. Anyone here interested in going with me? I'm on the fence between securing a lease or using public land. If three or four of us got together we could probably lock on a quality property.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Do you have any preference points for Iowa? I'm pretty sure we'll need at least three. If you don't then you need to start buying them in June. If you do then I say we start getting serious in early 2014.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I think you can start buying them in June. You just go to their website and instead of buying a license or applying for a tag you buy a point. When the time comes I'll check and let ya know.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Hey fellas. I have 2 points now, and might be interested. I have been there on a shed hunting trip a couple years ago! I am here to tell you. It's an amazing place! We found 54 sheds in a day and a half ( 4 of us ). Most of the bone we found were off of 130-150" bucks! I will prolly go again this February. We were in South East , Van Burean County. The farm that owned or leased his property has 13,000 acres! Crazy huh!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Hey fellas. I have 2 points now, and might be interested. I have been there on a shed hunting trip a couple years ago! I am here to tell you. It's an amazing place! We found 54 sheds in a day and a half ( 4 of us ). Most of the bone we found were off of 130-150" bucks! I will prolly go again this February. We were in South East , Van Burean County. The farm that owned or leased his property has 13,000 acres! Crazy huh!

How many points do you need to draw a tag now? Five years ago it was only two, but I've heard it's three or four now.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I believe it's 3. They used too be 13.00, now it's 50.00 a point or so.

Yeah, looked at it briefly last night and they said 50.00 a point.... Chuck do you have any points yet???? Also, have you any idea on what we would be looking at too secure a lease???

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
You can get drawn immediately, but the avg is three. I didn't read anywhere that said you could buy extra points though? I debated it, still sorta of am, but it's roughly 700 bucks, just for a tag/ability to hunt a buck w/ 3 points. I think I'd rather hunt somewhere cheaper.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Iowa is a special place to be in November. Unfortunately it's gonna be somewhere around 3,000 bucks, with lease and license fees. The guys I went shed hunting with had great success! One of them has tagged out on his first sit, Twice! First year he shot a mid 160" ten point and three years later, he shot a 159"- 14 point. Unfortunately, he was out trying to fill his doe tag and was confronted with 180" 6 by 6 and had to let it walk. Land of milk and honey! IMO.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
How many points you need depends on what zone you are hunting in and what season you are going for. For archery most are 3 points. I got my second gun season with 2 but I have friends that hunt first season in a zone in eastern Iowa every year. I have heard that some leases can get to be around $15 an acre and there are a lot of great bucks shot on public land every year. I went with a outfitter that I have got to know and he charges half of what most outfitters charge. It is nice to have more options of stand and blind locations when you only have a number of days to hunt plus having food and a place to stay helps TOO.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I checked out fees in KS today. About 400 bucks and draw chances are better from what I understand. I don't like being confined to a zone though... I think we might just buy a pref point for there this year. 22.50 compared to the 50 in Iowa. I'd love to hunt Iowa, but really really not feeling the 700 tag fee...

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
You are confined to the zone you choose in Iowa. You also have to choose the zone you want to hunt in Kansas, the good part though is you can name one other zone to hunt in that borders the zone of your tag. There are left over tags usually right away in Kansas as well.