Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Horns during ML season

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I'm working an angle to get back for the ML season. From what I've read over the past few years is that Ohio deer start dropping their antlers at the end of December. Is that your observations also?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think a lot of the bucks carry antlers beyond December. I'd say peak shedding would be somewhere around mid-to-late January. One of our diehard shed hunters like JD, FullBore, or Ric can hopefully weigh in on this. Their observations would be the most reliable, IMO.

That being said, I saw a buck last week that had already shed both antlers. He seemed to be pretty healthy... no obvious injuries. I suppose there are just as many bucks that drop early as bucks that carry late into March or April.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I started hunting the ml season in 1981 or 2. Back then it was Thursday, Friday, Saturday of the first full week of January. I only remember 1 shed buck killed by anyone back then, did know 1 person who pulled an antler off dragging a deer.

The vast majority of healthy bucks still have their antlers firmly attached. However I'd pay a little extra attention to big does and be carefull dragging anything I'd want to score.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
In the last couple of years since they moved the muzzleloading season back to January I've seen quite a few shed bucks. Some of the guys I hunt with that are just hunting for meat have shot some "big does" that ended up being bucks, and a few of which had massive bases on their heads :smiley_badmood: . One of the guys shot a really nice 8 point that had the antlers fall off as it landed, being one of those deer on a gentle trot, bam, deer drops like a ton of bricks type things. I have tried to discuss with the guys who have shot the shed bucks about looking at the body shape, size, the fact that they are by themselves, etc but those guys are like "I saw a deer, I shot it" and that's it. We also do see quite a few bucks with antlers but most of them have been little 4s, 6s, and 8s.

Lundy

I end up killing most of the deer I kill during the MZ seasons. I have seen some shed bucks and had a couple showing up on cams but for the most part they all still have their head gear.

I do NOT drag a buck by his antlers during the MZ season.

Hedgelj, I understand about shooting the sheds, I see no reason for anyone to mistake one for a doe, it is so obvious.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, stress/over all health are the key factors when a buck sheds. Although bucks drop early all over the state of Ohio it seems to me the majority drop earlier in the harsher winter climates of the northern region of Ohio. Down in the SE and SW I've noticed I find the majority of the freshest drops around March 6-17. I also believe if a buck is still breeding heavy he carries longer as well but I've also seen several TC pics/video of shed bucks mounting does in Janurary as well. It's a crapshoot and always has been when hunting for a buck in late season.

One of the worse feelings in the world has to be killing a huge deer and find 2 huge red dots on its head when you walk up on it! Solution: don't shoot at a big bodied deer in Jan or near end of season. I'm with Lundy, the neck size and over all body size is a no brainer when trying to distinguish the difference between the two.

Lundy

One of the worse feelings in the world has to be killing a huge deer and find 2 huge red dots on its head when you walk up on it! Solution: don't shoot at a big bodied deer in Jan or near end of season. I'm with Lundy, the neck size and over all body size is a no brainer when trying to distinguish the difference between the two.

And it's mannerisms are different and it is normally alone or with another buck or 3, and normally not with a bunch of does. I think many are shot because someone see one single deer without headgear and thinks it is a doe. The fact is you will just seldom see a doe alone, although I have seem more single does this year than the previous 10 years combined.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I know bucks drop earlier (saw 2 Sat of gun week missing 1 side) but I see several every year in NE OH carrying both sides into March.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Seems most of the deer in my area will carry well beyond muzzleloader, but I am still cautious when selecting a deer to shoot from now through the end of the season...

Kaiser878

ohio
Most hold on till way after muzzy. But this guy dropped early January every year. This was the last day of.muzzy last year. uploadfromtaptalk1355161361093.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I know bucks drop earlier (saw 2 Sat of gun week missing 1 side) but I see several every year in NE OH carrying both sides into March.

Not disagreeing with you Ryan but I saw several TC pics this year and most every year of bucks carrying one side right after velvet coming off TOO. Like I said, all bucks are different and many things can influence shed casting every year. Just saying...

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Great topic of discussion. In my experiences, I find sheds starting in early January. I will not get serious until the first of March. Ric is very correct in saying stress and health plays key roles in horn casting. Harsh weather and mostly testosterone levels control it even more. If there are does still coming into estrous, bucks in that area may still be carrying horns. We just have to be aware of body size when muzzy hunting. Although most hunters packing a smoke pole are more apt too be shot selective because of the one shot deal, hopefully we all do. Unfortunately some dandies fall in late season accidentally. Great thread,looking forward TOO hearing more input.

hunter56

Found 1st one last year Jan. 25 very fresh, found #24 last April 25. Did find one few years back(nice one) when they had the ML season with Christmas break like Dec. 27 or 28while ML hunting.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
There's always exceptions TOO every rule, but it's a known fact that a lot of bucks big and small are killed during muzzy! antler less! Lol. I know that a couple of years ago that a check in station tagged in 15 bucks in one day with out antlers. That SUCKS!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Another no rhyme or reason story, I talked to an avid deer hunter a few years ago about a buck that he and his son(late 20's) was hunting about 6 years ago. A very big racked target buck they've caught on camera many times. The son pulled a card before a hunt in mid December and was excited he was still alive. He set out to kill him with his bow right around Christmas Day and had an up close encounter with the buck but had to pass him because he shed on side. Talk about a kick in the junk!!! The buck carried the other side for nearly 3 more months.....explain that one! Lol Crazy stuff.