Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel tail preservation

Bushmaster16

So I just started with preserving my first squirrel tail (bone out). I've started with this (see picture) as you can see, the end came off while cutting down the tail. I have salted it and it is sitting right now. I've read about using borax, which is what I plan on doing. Any advice?
image.jpg

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Sounds like you are on the right track, I would slope it on a 45 degree angle so any juices that comes out of it drains.Change the salt tomorrow. The borax is a bug deterent as long as you keep it dry it should last a long time. Welcome to the site.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No clues but I would trust whitetailspecialties' advice since it is his line of work. Welcome to TOO!

Buckmaster

Portage
I did a few about 5 years ago and hung them in my garage. After 5 years all the hair fell off. What did I do wrong? Garage moisture?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have always just cut them off and laid them flat until dry. I have tails that are 10+ years old that still have the hair. Seems like a lot of work for a squirrel tail given that my method has worked. But then again, maybe I just got lucky!