Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best Boots for warmth?

hunter56

What kind of boots are best to keep feet warm on the stand for long period of time. When its 30 degrees or below after about 2 hrs my feet get cold. I have tried several things with socks, still get cold after couple hrs. I have a pair of 1200 thinsulate boots that will do decent but hard to climb tree. Just wondering what you guys do to keep feet warm after several hrs of setting? Thanks

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Welcome to TOO Hunter.

I use Irish Setter 1200 gram boots and a pair of Bass Pro Lifetime Socks. Seems to take care of it for me.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I MUST have toe warmers or I'm dead meat. It's the only thing that works for me.

Ricer2231

The combination of my Muck Woody Elites and foot warmers works great for me. I'm like Mike I just can't do without the foot warmers once it gets below 30.

hunter56

Sounds like foot warmers are the ticket thanks guys. Just wondering if I was missing anything. I haven't had to hunt much in the cold in the last few years until this year. I still have my buck tag. Thanks for the help.

hunter56

I thought about trying those, but somthing else to carry and if your boots are muddy might be a problem..

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a heart problem with only 45% pumping action. My feet get cold fast. I have been using a rubber bottom boot with felt liners and a thick wool socks. Haven't had a problem so far this year.
When I do have a problem I have a old 41 yr old brown sleeping bag in my hunting tower that I drap across my legs. Then if it really gets serious cold I have a small 1500 BTU Coleman heater under may chair. My 1000-1500 BTU heater went bad on me this year and could only find the Coleman 1500 which too big and can't leave it run all the time like my old 1000 BTU heater.
Got to be comfortable.
Frank

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A friend has some sort of insulated cover that goes over his boots. He seems to like them a lot.

I tried a pair of those 10 yrs ago and like been said if your boots are wet they aren't going to work. Haven't used them in 8 yrs.
Frank

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I believe there was already another thread on this topic, check around to look for it could give you some other ideas not mentioned yet.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sent a link to some covers for my boots to the wife. $30 I wouldn't have spent on myself. I don't intend on wearing them around though. Probably just throw them on once in stand and have my socks changed.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have found that ever since I started wearing lightweight polyester socks and uninsulated or low insulated boots, that my feet stay warmer than they ever have. The biggest issue for me was that my feet were constantly sweating. Once your feet get wet, you aren't gonna keep them warm unless you are moving. For me, keeping my feet warm falls back on the old saying, "Less is more."

Also, when I am treesrand hunting, I have found that if I'm standing a good bit, my feel will get chilly. When I am seated, I try to stretch mg feet out so that the pressure is off the bottom of my boots, allowing air to circulate around my entire foot. Wearing rubber boots that slip on versus leather boots that lace up allows for a little more room for air to circulate, and IMO keep your feet warmer in the process.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have found that ever since I started wearing lightweight polyester socks and uninsulated or low insulated boots, that my feet stay warmer than they ever have. The biggest issue for me was that my feet were constantly sweating. Once your feet get wet, you aren't gonna keep them warm unless you are moving. For me, keeping my feet warm falls back on the old saying, "Less is more."

Also, when I am treesrand hunting, I have found that if I'm standing a good bit, my feel will get chilly. When I am seated, I try to stretch mg feet out so that the pressure is off the bottom of my boots, allowing air to circulate around my entire foot. Wearing rubber boots that slip on versus leather boots that lace up allows for a little more room for air to circulate, and IMO keep your feet warmer in the process.

This has been my experience as well. I've found that my feet stay warmer, longer, when they're propped up on my Millennium footrest... vs. keeping them on the platform.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mickey boots work wonderfully, but are heavy. Sorta like Greg, I have started wearing "less" on my feet. My personal favorite is a pair of light weight leather "hikers", one pair of socks, and Arctic Sheild boot covers. I put the covers on once I'm in the stand. If I decided to get down and creep around, I have the right footwear for that job already on. I've given up on rubber boots. I haven't owned a pair that didn't make my feet sweat and won't use them for even chilly days now.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This has been my experience as well. I've found that my feet stay warmer, longer, when they're propped up on my Millennium footrest... vs. keeping them on the platform.

Agreed. That cold metal platform will filter right in to the bottom of your feet the longer you stand!