Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tree Stand Height

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I have read where some guys are sitting 30 feet up in their stands and it has made me wonder what height most people set their stands at and why. I am normally around 15 to 20 feet, because I think it keeps me under the canopy and gives me a better shot angle. I'd like to hear thoughts from some of you guys.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
It depends. If I'm hunting with my LW sticks & stand I get up about 17' to 20' on average. I feel low but normally set up in trees that help me hide well.

I my climber I get up about 25' on average

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I tend to pick trees that hide you well sometimes I can't get very high. The higher the better in my book. 20' or above .

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I aways worry about the shot angle on anything above 20' so I tend to stay there. I guess it really depends on the place your hunting.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
20-25'. I don't mind being lower, but the biggest issue I have down here are the hills. Sometimes 15' isn't enough to keep you out if the line of sight.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Very rarely over 15 feet anymore. From one of Masons stands you can see tree steps that I left in a tree yrs ago. They go up probably 30 feet or so. Mason noticed them and said "you were nuts". I couldn't agree more. I don't see me ever setting a stand like that again.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I go as high as needed for that sit. That is never a determining factor for my setups. All I care about is wind...

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Very rarely over 15 feet anymore. From one of Masons stands you can see tree steps that I left in a tree yrs ago. They go up probably 30 feet or so. Mason noticed them and said "you were nuts". I couldn't agree more. I don't see me ever setting a stand like that again.

I laughed out loud when I read that!

For you guys who do still go 30 feet up, what have you found it does to your shot, does your first pin carry further than 20 yards and what if the target is within 10 yards of your tree, do you tend to hit high? I would think it would be harder to get a double lung from a steep angle. I don't mind heights but worry what it would do to my shot.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I prefer to be around 25 ft, but sometimes my stands a little higher or lower depending on the tree itself. I've had stands as high as 42' and 45', both those were rarities... The 45-footer was a gun only stand, overlooking a wide open swamp. The 42-footer was at the base of a steep ridge finger, which put my back side (to the ridge) around 25'.