Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone still shooting a sidelock ML?

I've shot nearly every type of muzzleloader out there and have enjoyed them all. However, at one point I believe I may have burnt myself out, as I do not own any charcoal burners any more. There was a time when I shot cap & ball revolvers, owned an original side by side shotgun and a patched round ball long rifle, as well as a hawken style half stock rifle.

About 3 years ago I sold a CVA Optima Pro and that was the last of my smoke poles.

A buddy of mine offered an extended loan of one of his MLs, if I was interested. The thought has rekindled an old interest. It's a 38" Montana barreled .54 caliber flintlock, long rifle with a 1:70 twist. I've seen this rifle perform and it's as accurate as any human shooter could hope. I've not made a decision whether to jump back into this or not. :smiley_chinrub:

Everyone seems to be shooting inline MLs, these days.
Anyone still shooting a sidelock ML?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I do. 50 cal. Thompson -Hawken.
Love the old patch en ball. It was a kit gun I got for Christmas around 1977 or 1978.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have two also. I have a 50 cal traditions that I've had since 90, and I have a custom built 40cal that my father in law had made for me the first year KR and I were married. It was made for long range accuracy, and shot 2" groups at 200yds! It has a huge bull barrel on it, with that tiny 40 cal hole drilled in the end...funny looking really. I've only shot one deer with it, but it dropped in it's tracks. Mason hunted with the 50 cal a couple of years ago. Other than that, I don't think I've shot either gun since I got my first inline. I may have to get the 50 out and start playing with it again as it's a joy to shoot.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Once you figure out a few things with a flint lock, they can be really great to hunt and shoot with.
Even in the snow. Especially in the snow... Man. Deer hunting in 2-3 inches of fresh snow, a few flakes still coming down... I am instantly 150 or 200 years back in time.

I Am a Mountain Man.

An thats a hell of a lot better than being a Lumberjack.
ok

Last edited:
You guys got me thinking of going to a gun show or two to see what I can find in a ML that will shoot conical bullets. Something in a 1:48 or quicker twist. Perhaps a used T/C Hawken or a Lyman Great Plains Hunter would be the ticket.

Bowhunter57

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I have a Traditions Hawken in .50cal and a TC White Mountain Carbine in .50cal as well. I really enjoy the challenge of shooting patched roundballs out if my hawken. I have yet to even shoot the TC though. I know i'm dead on @ 100 yds with my hawken using the old iron sights....can't wait to get the TC dialed in before too long. With the shorter barrel i will prbly have my oldest stepson shoot it though.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If the weather is descent I'll probably be using my flintlock in muzzleloader season.

You really don't need anything but a roundball for deer, especially if you get a .50 or .54. Never saw a T/C that would shoot a maxi worth a damn. A compromise that works good in T/Cs is the Lee R.E.A.L bullets.

If the weather is descent I'll probably be using my flintlock in muzzleloader season.

You really don't need anything but a roundball for deer, especially if you get a .50 or .54. Never saw a T/C that would shoot a maxi worth a damn. A compromise that works good in T/Cs is the Lee R.E.A.L bullets.

I get my best groups with a Minie ball with my T/C Hawken. I cast my own with a lee mold. I have pictures of the targets somewhere I'll try to find them. My Hawken is an early model. It doesn't even have the moron warning on the barrel. My T/C shoots round ball very well too.

Last edited:
Ohiosam said:
You really don't need anything but a roundball for deer, especially if you get a .50 or .54. A compromise that works good in T/Cs is the Lee R.E.A.L bullets.
Ohiosam,
The T/C Hawken that I used to have would shoot the 250gr. R.E.A.L. bullet very well. It was back in the late 70s when Pyrodex was just coming out. I was shooting 80gr. of Pyrodex under a 250gr. R.E.A.L. bullet and had a Bushnell Banner handgun scope mount on the barrel, in the rear iron sight dovetail. It would shoot 2" groups at 100 yards. I never got a shot at a deer, but certainly changed the course of life for many groundhogs. :smiley_blink:

My other T/C was the Pennsylvania Hunter, a round ball rifle, that would shoot a .490" round ball in the same 2" groups at 100 yards. I killed 2 nice bucks with it, before selling it to another hunting buddy.

Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I started muzzleloading with a generic sidelock. I really enjoyed using it and its what got my love of muzzy hunting started. I agree a few inches of snow and more coming down and its not hard to put myself into the movies of jeremiah johnson or others (or at least in my mind). That gun and the identical model used by my brother ended up being major problems with lots of hangfires and misfires and we ended up switching to actual blackpowder compared to pyrodex and still experienced them. I eventually switched to my current omega b/c I missed a couple of deer including one REALLY nice buck at less than 10 yards when I had a capgun and not a firearm. Eventually I may go back to something simpler but its not what I want right now, kinda like I want to eventually deer hunt with a handgun for the added challenge but not right now.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have always shot true 3F black powder. (4F in the pan).
I have changed the frizzen to an after market that was harder for better spark. I have been happy with the english flint. Using a paper clip to push some of the 4F from the pan into the flash hole will ensure a faster light and cut down on hang fires in a big way.

Cleaning: The Best thing I have ever used;Get your self a plastic bottle or jug. mix:
1/3 rubbing alcohol
1/3 hydrogen peroxide
1/3 Murphy's oil soap

You will never clean with a store bought solution again.

there are lots of tricks for rock locks. I polish the pan so moisture is less liking to cling to a uneven finish. Also if it is humid out use 3f in the pan and for the charge. 3f is less affected by moisture. Dont pack your charge down super hard with a flintlock like you would with a percussion cap or inline gun. There are lots more tricks I know or have learned from few old muzzleloader makers. Ill either make a video or a new thread about this topic with pictures since there is interest on the topic.