Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rabbit Paprikash

One of my favorite non game dishes is chicken paprikash. Chicken paprikash is like Hungarian chicken and dumplings. My girlfriend is part Hungarian and she makes it for me quite often. I had a few rabbits in the freezer so I wondered what it would taste like with rabbit instead of chicken. Its great.

Ingredients:
2 rabbits I just left the leg meat on the bone. The rest I cut up into chunks.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
32 oz chicken broth
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tbsp flour

dumplings or Nokedli:
1 cup flour
1/2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder

Directions:

Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and briefly saute until tender. Add the garlic, bunnies, paprika, salt and pepper and saute until the rabbit has browned (about six to eight minutes). Once the rabbit has browned, add one cup of the chicken broth to the pot and increase heat to high. Bring mixture to a simmer and continue cooking for another five minutes or so until the rabbit is done. Remove rabbit with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Reduce heat to low and add the sour cream and flour to the one cup of simmering broth. Whisk well so there are no clumps and continue whisking and simmering until mixture is very thick. Add rabbit back in pot and stir well.

Now, make the dumplings. Pour the remaining broth (3 cups) into another pot and bring to a boil.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in the butter with your fingertips, keep mixing the mixture together until all butter has been blended in. Add milk and stir so a dough forms.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to 1/8th inch thick. Using a knife cut thin strips of dough and then across the strips so you have small dough squares. Drop dough squares into boiling chicken broth and cook for about five minutes, until the dumplings float. Drain and drop cooked dumplings into rabbit paprikash. Stir and serve.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
What time is dinner?

I love chicken paprikash!! Haven't had it for years, but man it that a great meal. Gotta go kill some rabbits now.