Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What inspires you?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Simple question right?

Well what is it? My woods time give me that "Look into Life" from the outside time that I know many, many people don't get to do. I spend a lot of time in reflection trying to put and prioritize my life and be a better person(still taking that 35 yard shot on that deer though:smiley_coolpeace:). In many ways 99% of us go through each day, just like the one before never changing. Why I ask do we do that? Ignorance? laziness? Comfort? What gets you out of your rut or readjusts your priorities even for a while let a lone the rest of your life?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I always seem to go from one rut to another. Prolly attribute it to comfort though. My family and anything associated with deer hunting helps me get through what bad heads my way. I try to lead as simple life as I can and know that God has my back. Lord knows how many times I let him down over the years! Thankfully he's a loving and forgiving God cuz this dude would be in trouble! Lol

Sitting in amongst the beauty while hunting revitalizes or recharges me as does spending quality time with the ones most precious to me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm the type of guy that has a lot of "flings." My flings aren't women... instead, they're little projects that I tinker with for a while. That's a big reason why I'm always so into the DIY stuff. I'll use archery as an example. I wanted to get into it, doing my own tuning, maintenance, etc... and once I got started, I couldn't stop. I build the things I need, spend countless hours tinkering and tuning... It literally fuggin consumes me. I'll do that for a while, say a week or two, then I move on to the next fling. Right before the NoDak trip my fling was a motorized duck decoy. It ended being a failure, but it still consumed me for a solid week. Soon, hopefully, my next fling will be training a new labrador puppy.

I get into these projects and once I start I just have a one-track mind. I dwell on them and think about them nonstop... always trying to complete the projects to the best of my ability. I go through the monotony of everyday life at work simply because I have to. But once I'm at home, my little flings keep me pretty occupied. I think these flings really prevent me from ever getting into much of a rut.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Ha! Great question! Well TOO start off. Family and deer hunting go hand on hand with my inspirations. Although, you can ask my wife, I love to hunt and find things. Sheds are my number one. Once I start, I can't stop. You might call me "horny"lol. But it doesn't stop there! Hell, once green-up comes, I still can't stop! I guess that the thrill I get when I find one is so great, it inspires me to go and find another one! I love the Damn things!

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
My friends! They know me, my bad/good points, yet they are still there for me when I need some one to lean on. GOOD friends are worth their weight in gold!

Gordo

Athens County
You hit on it pretty well Milo.

I've figured many a things out while perched up in a tree. Sometimes life gets so busy and crazy you never get a chance to stop and just think. On the flip side of that, sometimes it's nice to just sit there with an idle mind and not think much of anything.

I always tell people hunting is my 'meditation'.

As to what inspires me? The driving force that keeps me waking up in the morning? That's a hell of a question dude.

Just trying to make the world a better place

Being outdoors. I'm away from most of my Fiancee, family, good friends, and home state. The woods is the only thing that keeps me going some weeks. It doesn't always have to be hunting. I just need to be outside. I can be hunting, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, stump shooting, a 3d range or snowboarding. If I get to do one of those activities at least once a week I'm happy.
I also have a lot of other projects. I make model airplanes, bows, knives, leather work, and I have a model railroad. Those are the things that keep me content when I cant go outside. I do a lot of reading too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd like to answer honestly, but will not. I find my inspiration in an unconventional way!

I'm sure when my little girl gets here, she'll be my new inspiration!!!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Depends on what it is...

Prayer, friends, family, and the outdoors are my outlets for frustration of the grind and inlets for love and wanting/trying to do the right thing. Sometimes I suck at it but they still accept me. Whenever I take the time to appreciate that it is inspiring.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think I am a bit different. My mind is always going 100mph. What clears my mind and opens it up for inspiration are things which take my entire focus. I have found very few things in life which require the majority of all my focus and attention.

I find it in the woods of course. This is a no brainer. Whether hunting or shed hunting, my focus is on what I am doing.

I used to do a lot of motorcycle riding/racing. This required total focus.

Sex. Sure, some may think of other things during, but I usually remained focused for the entire 30 seconds. :smiley_crocodile:

Splitting firewood or running equipment. If I am on the tractor or in a skid loader, I am very cautious and also meticulous. This requires focus.

What I find is events such as these force me to think of nothing but the task at hand. Upon finishing, my mind is cleared of all the bazillion things normally running through it. I am usually ready for a nap when finished. Once rested up, I am ready to hit the work load again, spend quality time with the family, or generally feel rejuvenated. A bit ironic I guess to say I need something which requires my 100% focus in order to clear my mind and allow me to find direction again.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I mostly am like the rest of you with kids, cant help but let them be your inspiration. I work shift work and generally feel like shit most days so I try and run or lift some weights cause that usually will kick the endorphin release in and gets me going in the right direction.