Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Federal ultra shock steel

Kaiser878

ohio
Not sure if anyone shoots this, but if you do you might wanna buy all you can. It is usually about 16-17 dollars a box. Rogers sporting goods has them on sale for 119.00 a case with no tax and no shipping. Which is pretty damn cheap. All they have left are #2s and #4s. The reason why, Federal stopped producing these shells recently. The way I understood it they are stopping making everything but Blackcloud. I have shot these shells before and have always had really good results with them, they are/were Federals premium shotshell. If I were to compare them to something I would say they are a tad better shooting then Kents...But chances are you probably wont even notice a difference.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to shoot the Federal Premium Ultra Shock loads before I made the switch to Kent. I really had no reason to switch... The Federals always treated me very well. My preference was 3" #4s in the Federals... It was a great pattern with plenty of knock-down power on ducks. I don't think they are any better or any worse than Kent Fasteel. I'd say it's about a tie when it comes to performance. That being said, I now shoot neither... I've made the switch to Hevi Metal and will probably never shoot anything else.

Kaiser878

ohio
I used to shoot the Federal Premium Ultra Shock loads before I made the switch to Kent. I really had no reason to switch... The Federals always treated me very well. My preference was 3" #4s in the Federals... It was a great pattern with plenty of knock-down power on ducks. I don't think they are any better or any worse than Kent Fasteel. I'd say it's about a tie when it comes to performance. That being said, I now shoot neither... I've made the switch to Hevi Metal and will probably never shoot anything else.

To rich for my blood. haha I cant afford those damn things. Everytime my gun goes off it goes off three times...IDont know whats wrong with it..mischeif.gif

I have shot them, and they are insane..ITs amazing how much difference a shell can make. You wouldnt think there could be that much difference between shells, but there def is. HEavy Metal is unreal, just to expensive for me

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
3 inch Rem Nitro Steel #2.. partially because they kill everything I've ever sent them after. And secondly, I got them for like 4 bucks a box on clearance at walmart a few years back. Cleaned them out of every box they had. Cheaper than a box of #6s. I mostly use them for crow hunting. That's just poor mans duck hunting anyway. Same concept. Little much for squirrel inside 40. Water swatted a goose in my kayak. Never knew what hit him. Other than that I have no experience with waterfowl shells. Really I just wanted to say I shoot squirrels with them.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
To rich for my blood. haha I cant afford those damn things. Everytime my gun goes off it goes off three times...IDont know whats wrong with it..mischeif.gif

I have shot them, and they are insane..ITs amazing how much difference a shell can make. You wouldnt think there could be that much difference between shells, but there def is. HEavy Metal is unreal, just to expensive for me

See here's the thing... They are more expensive per box, but in reality (at least from what I've seen so far) you end up using less shells per hunt. I have way less cripples shooting this Hevi Metal than I ever did with regular steel. Not that the regular steel is bad or anything... it works fine IMO... but the HM just plain wrecks birds! So really, if it takes me less shells to kill the same number of ducks or geese, the cost of the ammunition seemingly evens out. Of course, I say all this assuming that one doesn't shoot like Carpn.... :smiley_depressive:lmao

Kaiser878

ohio
3 inch Rem Nitro Steel #2.. partially because they kill everything I've ever sent them after. And secondly, I got them for like 4 bucks a box on clearance at walmart a few years back. Cleaned them out of every box they had. Cheaper than a box of #6s. I mostly use them for crow hunting. That's just poor mans duck hunting anyway. Same concept. Little much for squirrel inside 40. Water swatted a goose in my kayak. Never knew what hit him. Other than that I have no experience with waterfowl shells. Really I just wanted to say I shoot squirrels with them.
Id be lieing if I said I hadn't rabbit hunted with 3 inch. BB load before. Haha

Kaiser878

ohio
See here's the thing... They are more expensive per box, but in reality (at least from what I've seen so far) you end up using less shells per hunt. I have way less cripples shooting this Hevi Metal than I ever did with regular steel. Not that the regular steel is bad or anything... it works fine IMO... but the HM just plain wrecks birds! So really, if it takes me less shells to kill the same number of ducks or geese, the cost of the ammunition seemingly evens out. Of course, I say all this assuming that one doesn't shoot like Carpn.... :smiley_depressive:lmao

U could give me a punt gun and id still need three shots

epe

Lancaster
I picked up some of the wingmaster hd when it was on clearance. It shoots good out of my extrema with a skeet 2 choke. Haven't tried the ultra shock yet..

fowlfan

I've had great luck with Hevi-Metal from HeviSot. I shoot #2 at both ducks and geese and knock them stone dead out of the sky. As long as I'm shooting well, 45 yard shots on the big honks is no problem. Hevi-Metal is just a little more than steel.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Xperts all the way. I have tried everything out of my SBE II, and the Xperts pattern the same if not better than the rest. My supernova likes black cloud or hevi-metal though. I will be getting an extended choke this year for the SBE, so I may have to switch depending on the new pattern.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Xperts all the way. I have tried everything out of my SBE II, and the Xperts pattern the same if not better than the rest. My supernova likes black cloud or hevi-metal though. I will be getting an extended choke this year for the SBE, so I may have to switch depending on the new pattern.

The Xperts patterned better out of your SBE II than the Hevi-Metal? That's crazy.

Derek j

Knox Co.
HM was slightly better under 30yds....was even better past that. But as long as I shoot good, the Xperts work the same for half the price. I liked the HM for long shots though. Would be nice if I could just carry both guns!!

birdchaser

I use Hevi-Metal for my waterfowl. It patterns great out of my gun and isn't that expensive. I used it when hunting with my buddies and they were so impressed they have also switched. Hevi-Metal outperforms steel by a long shot.