Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Butt out tool

Lundy

Sorry if this has already been discussed, probably even demonstrated during the outing at Strouds Run outing:).

Has anyone used this tool?

I am tired of splitting the pelvis, which is the only way I have ever gutted a deer. I know there must better ways and i'm ready to learn a new trick

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I was taught to cut around the anus then pull the guts out...I was wondering if this tool would make that part of the job a little easier and quicker also.

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I think there is a product review floating around here on this subject... one of the funniest TOO if I remember right. rotflmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've used it... sometimes with success... sometimes without. I don't use it anymore. Yet, there is still no need to split the pelvis, Lundy. Just take your knife and cut all the way around the anus, as deep as your knife will go. Your knife has to be plenty sharp. If you do a good enough job cutting, everything will pull right out though the inside of the body cavity, along with the rest of the guts.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I've used it... sometimes with success... sometimes without. I don't use it anymore. Yet, there is still no need to split the pelvis, Lundy. Just take your knife and cut all the way around the anus, as deep as your knife will go. Your knife has to be plenty sharp. If you do a good enough job cutting, everything will pull right out though the inside of the body cavity, along with the rest of the guts.

X2! Just cut a circle all the way around it and everything pulls right out.

oakswamper

around Toledo
I carry an old case pocket knife that has a sharp point, makes it easier to cut around the ass Then I gut the deer and everything comes out nice and clean

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for sharing. My wife and I just enjoyed watching this video. Well, I enjoyed laughing at her as she made wrinkly faces and showed her disgust. I really needed that laugh.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Thanks for the video Dan. I watched a guy use this tool not long ago and it was a shitty mess. I see now where he messed up by not tying off after the extraction.

I carry a small pelvic bone saw made by Gerber that cuts through pretty easily. It has a blunt end and WILL NOT catch any intestines or membrane. I have also done as stated above and just cut all around the anus as deep as my knife would reach, and everything pulls right out. A buddy of mine carries a long thin blade knife just for this purpose.

Lundy

Thanks for the info.

I have the luxury of being able to leave all of my knives in my UTV and drive to where I kill the deer. I can keep a bunch of the tools available just wanted to make sure I have the best tools.

I think I am just going to throw one of my filet knives in the box to try the anus cut next time instead of splitting the pelvis.

Thanks again

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've really never understood why guys are so particular about how clean that pelvic cavity is once gutted. Virtually none of the meat you cut off the deer ever contacts that area anyway, so if it's not perfect what's the big deal? Just pull the ass out and be done with it. Opening up the pelvic bone aids in cooling the hindquarters a bit, but IMO it's still not worth getting a bunch of hair, dirt, sticks, and leaves all over the insides of the legs.

Huckleberry Finn

It's all in the wrist.

I have had some not good success with it, just mess them up, but this last one I did, it worked like a charm...

badger

*Supporting Member*
I've really never understood why guys are so particular about how clean that pelvic cavity is once gutted. Virtually none of the meat you cut off the deer ever contacts that area anyway, so if it's not perfect what's the big deal? Just pull the ass out and be done with it. Opening up the pelvic bone aids in cooling the hindquarters a bit, but IMO it's still not worth getting a bunch of hair, dirt, sticks, and leaves all over the insides of the legs.

I like to open it to let body heat out, and it makes it easier to pack some ice down there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's all in the wrist.

I have had some not good success with it, just mess them up, but this last one I did, it worked like a charm...

Was it as good for the deer as it was for you? Are we even talking about the Butt Out tool anymore Huck? :smiley_crocodile:

JBrown said:
Just take your knife and cut all the way around the anus, as deep as your knife will go. Your knife has to be plenty sharp. If you do a good enough job cutting, everything will pull right out though the inside of the body cavity, along with the rest of the guts.
I carry a fillet knife with a 7 1/2" blade, just for this reason. Once the knife is the blade is inserted, you'll be able to feel the hip bone...then make a sawing motion around the anus and it will be easily pulled through the hip/pelvis canal with the rest of the guts.

Splitting the hip is too much work, needless and can put bone fragments in the meat. :smiley_armscrossed:

Bowhunter57

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Opening up the pelvic bone aids in cooling the hindquarters a bit, but IMO it's still not worth getting a bunch of hair, dirt, sticks, and leaves all over the insides of the legs.

I leave the whole pelvic area as is for those reasons above. Just use my knife to free the 2 hole, pull it out a bit, place a zip tie around it, and then pull it back through and out with the rest of the guts. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.

Lundy

I was I guess just looking for something new to try out.

Every deer I have gutted for my father, brother, son, daughter-in-law and all of mine well over 100 total I have always just split the pelvis, that is how my father showed me in the late 60's and what I have always done since.

I amy try the filet knife around the chute with my daughter-in-laws next weekend just to compare.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was I guess just looking for something new to try out.

Every deer I have gutted for my father, brother, son, daughter-in-law and all of mine well over 100 total I have always just split the pelvis, that is how my father showed me in the late 60's and what I have always done since.

I amy try the filet knife around the chute with my daughter-in-laws next weekend just to compare.

My dad taught me the exact same method, Lundy. And for a while, I kept doing it that way. A few years ago I was working up at Old Woman's Creek at a youth gun hunt, and I helped one of the fathers gut a deer for his kid. He didn't split the pelvis... just ringed-out the anus and pulled everything back through. I thought to myself, "Well that makes more sense." And I've been doing it that way every since. No plans on ever going back to splitting the pelvis... There's just no point in it.