Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting in heavy fog

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had planned on hunting today but the fog is thicker than soap.
But after reviewing the weather we may get 1.5 in. rain today. I have to cross my creek to get to my hunting woods and if we get the 1.5 in. rain I probaly can't take a chance of safely crossing the creek tonite with the water being up.
Tommorrow looks better with only a chance of light rain.
Opinions on hunting in the heavy fog.
Frank

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'll do it and have done it with mixed results .... I will usually hunt a well traveled trail as where I hunt they seem too stick too them if they ever move at all that is.... but with all that rain and you having too cross that Crick.... I'd stay warm and dry in the house.... lol.... Frank is there anyways of making a bridge too use too get across? That way the water wouldn't be an issue....

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No chance of a bridge. When a very heavy hits rain the creek can go from 1 inch to 4-5 feet in sevearal hours then be down to 4-5 inches the next day. Just something I have to put up with.
Frank

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nasty, foggy, cold, and drizzly days are an awesome time to kill them.

So I guess I should have taken food and crossed the creek and spent the night in my hunting tower if need be. I already have a sleeping bag and small heater there. I will take this into concideration next time.
But man I like my hot coffee in the morning.
Frank

dangerousoldman

i agree that drizzly days with a bit of cool weather isnt bad to be in the stand. deer seem to move in nasty feeling weather but not overly windy or raining hard...imho..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like to be there as the fog is burning off. Seems like movement is later on foggy mornings around here. Helps to sneak into the tree unnoticed. Killed my last doe this year on a foggy morning. Woke up late. Fog was a blessing that morning because the sun was shining when I got to the tree. Climbed up and by the time I was settled in the fog was starting to burn off. Less than an hour into my sit the deer started moving and I had a huge doe with two holes in her.