Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloader Palm Saver

Huckleberry Finn

Anyone else use one?

I have a homemade one...I'll take a picture of it at somepoint...

Figure that it'd be a good topic with muzzleloader coming up. Allows for much quicker reloads.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
This is the one I use. I find that it works really well in the field and also holds 209 primers. I do have a different ramrod for when I do a range day that has a "T" style grip but it doesn't stay in ramrod holder in my Omega very well.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I just found a long screw and ran it through a 2.5" -3" long broom handle. It screws into the ram rod to make a T. Works just fine.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Been thinking about doing this with a piece of antler. Using the store bought T-handle now.

I don't mind using a cut-off broom handle size dowel rod for the Omega
But I would have to use the antler set-up for the flintlock. Cool Idea!
I have also seen antler hollowed out for a powder measure for the load or pan.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
About 28 yrs ago during early ML season in Wildcat Hollow orange didn't work like it should.
2 brothers and 2 nephews were driving some pines below and I was hoping they would kick one out to me. Then Bang and the one brother started hollowering you shot me come here. The other brother said just quite joking around and keep hunting. The shot brother hollowering come here. The other brother shouts damn you you better be shot when I get there or I will shoot you.
He gets and goes Holy Shit you are shot. The nephew shot at a deer and missed and just shot his uncle through the fleshy part of the side. No real hard done. Ya that's easy for me to say as I wasn't the one shot.
So orange is very important. Come to think of it I haven't hunted Public land since.
Frank

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
In the late 70's I was deer hunting some private land in Mahoning county. Came across a guy muzzleloader hunting in buckskins and a coonskin cap. We talked for a while, nice fellow and very interesting. But it scared me that someone was hunting the same woods dressed like that.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I use a very high tech and super expensive bullet starter... Most of you, if not all, will not understand how it works, but I'll tell you.

I ball up the ends of my shirts/coat and put it in the palm of my hand ;)