Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzy Help

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have a TC Omega

I am embarresed to admit I have not had time to shoot it in, but I am going to in a week or two.

Can you all give me tips on"

1. Amount of pyrodex
2. Bullets
3. Anything you think I should know/ be used to.

I have killed deer with a muzzy but it was never with my own.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have been using 777, 90 grains loose powder, and 245 grain powerbelts. There may be better loads, but I have been really happy with how they shoot out to 150 and they will kill what they hit stone dead.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Is 100 just two pellets.

How do you decide on the weight of the bullet, you all seem to shoot different grain.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Personally, I like the 245 grain because they shoot fairly flat, but have plenty of weight to do the job. Recoil is minimal too. I'm sure everyone feels the same about their load. As I said, I don't know that what I shoot is the best available, I'm sure it isn't, but it's good enough for me. Kills 'em dead, and I don't flinch when I pull the trigger with that load. Heck, it's what my 9 year old killed one of his deer with this year and he didn't whine too much. :)

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
No problems, we all had to start somewhere.

First determine what powder you want to shoot in it. Pyrodex is good but a bit of a PITA to clean up. Triple seven is an easier clean up but can form a crud ring that is challenging to clean up right in front of the breech plug. When I am out of my current triple seven supply I'm going to switch to blackhorn209, its more expensive but is supposed to clean up REALLY easy and not form a crud ring.

Depending on what powder you choose will determine if you need any special type of cap. The triple7 caps do seem to minimize the crud ring build up since I switched to them. The blackhorn209 requires a hotter cap to ignite it.

Most of the powders will absorb water if allowed to sit opened to the air so I always store mine (the entire container) in a sealed ziplock bag. Don't know if it helps but it helps me think that it does. Also the pellets don't give you as much in the way of variation to really dial in your load if that's your thing. The pellets are also more expensive but offer more convienence. Your choice.

Bullets - many options here. I personally use 250 grain .452 Hornady XTP bullets and magnum muzzleloading products sabots in mine. Once again you can go with a slightly more expensive but more convienent option of a bullet sabot combo you can buy at most stores (TC shockwaves, powerbelts, etc) or the mix and match style which requires a little more work. For example the TC shockwaves run ~$15-20 for 15 of them (found here). You could instead buy a 225 grain identical bullet for $30 for 100 (found here) and then go to magnum muzzleloading and order some sabots at $9 per 50 (here) and then you are at $48 for 100 ready to go instead of >$90 bucks for 90 of them.

The XTP bullets I use are also available already set up here.

I have noticed that the Omegas that I, my dad, my brother, and the spare all have fairly tight bores and required the Magnum muzzleloading 3 petal EZ sabot over some of the other ones and that did take some tuning and shooting to figure out.

All that being said, some people don't want to put in that much effort. No worries.

My personal load is 110 grains of triple7 with a 250 grain XTP .452 bullet with the EZ sabot from magnum muzzleloading products. It has provided VERY good performance on the deer I've shot with it. Inside 10-15 yards I have noticed that the jacket sometimes comes off the bullet due to the higher velocity I am gaining from the powder but no less devastating results. I have shot a deer up to 100 yards with this combination and the bullet did a great job. Such a good job that you have to make sure of your bullet placement b/c otherwise the wound channel is large enough to mess up some (ok well A LOT) of meat if you hit the wrong part of a shoulder. I have used it on quartering shots where I go in behind one shoulder and lodge the bullet in the other shoulder and every deer with that shot dropped in its tracks. My father uses the same bullet with 70 grains of triple7 and has had no problems, my brother uses the same load I do and just complains when he messes up meat from the bullets but hasn't complained that the deer drop fast when hit with them. One of the deer one of us shot we recovered the bullet while processing and it was quarter sized in its mushroom and was completely embedded in the bone.

HOpe that helps

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Is 100 just two pellets.

How do you decide on the weight of the bullet, you all seem to shoot different grain.

Depends which pellets you are using as to how many grains each one is. I think triple7 makes a 35 and a 50 grain pellet.

I decided on the bullet weight by doing some research online. The 250 grain gives me a large bullet with a decently flat trajectory as far as I plan on taking a deer. A lighter bullet will be flatter, a heavier bullet will have more energy on the deer. I started muzzleloading with a sidelock and plain lead maxiball type bullets pushed with 70 grains of blackpowder. Did a great job but fell like a rock past 75 yards. I just played around with it a bit to see what I wanted when I got the omega.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If you already have the Pyrodex and that is what you want to use that is fine. 100 grains is a good starting point.

If you don't have Pyrodex get the Blackhorn209. Use standard 209s (not muzleloader or magnums 209s). Once again 100 grains is a good starting load, I shoot 110.

Bullets, I've tried a bunch, right now I'm using Hornady 300 gr SST.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I like hornandy in my 17 and Slug gun, but have never tried them in my muzzy.

I am going to go to the store and buy a bunch of new stuff for the gun,

1. blackhorn 209
2.209 primers
3.hornandy bullets

anything else?

also how do I take a load out of the muzzy if I do not shoot it, can the back pull out on the omega or do you have to shoot it.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
also how do I take a load out of the muzzy if I do not shoot it, can the back pull out on the omega or do you have to shoot it.

You can remove the breechplug and then push the bullet the rest of the way out the back but I honestly prefer shooting it and cleaning it compared to the mess the powder made in the breech and action area.

I would also suggest getting some lube for the threads of the breechplug and some cleaning stuff.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
The guy who introduced me to muzzy shooting started me out with a 70 grain load, and then we went 80, 90, 100, 110, etc
Settled on 90 gr (best pattern)

I tell you something I like are the Traditions speedloaders - plastic thingee with caps on each end that stores a bullet at one end and the loose powder in the other. Like this brand because the compartments are separate.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...d=328&osCsid=b41d648489d7bd594f6e6c3b05d43a83

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If you truly have nothing then here are the other items I would recommend.

A container to hold everything here
I prefer these to hold my loads over the previous post here as they are also a starter.
I carry my caps on this and it does make pushing the ramrod a lot easier here
When that doesn't work I use this here

You will also need a powder measure to measure how much powder you are loading. I like the brass ones. Most everything I have linked is available at places besides cabelas just easiser to search there as I know they have it.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro

There's a puller thingee that screws into your ramrod/cleaning rod that looks like a screw....you can screw it into the bullet and pull it out thru the muzzle.
Used mine once, didn't really like it...will always just shoot them out from now on. But I guess it's a good accessory to have in the box

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Your in good hands here. Great info above! I love my Omega and shoot a simple 100gr. 777 with a 200 Gr. ShockWave.
Every gun will like something best. You just have to try a little of everything to find that best load. If you can find a muzzy shooter that will give or trade you a few rounds of different sabots, you can save your self want most of us have ended up with... a bunch of different sabots from different company's that did not do well.

What type of shooting distance do you expect? 50,100,150 yards?

One last tip: Once you find a charge set-up that is best, Load the gun and with the powder and ball in the gun, drop the ram-rod in and scribe the ram-rod at the end of the muzzle. One day it may keep you from loading a dbl charge or thinking its loaded when its empty.

Dan mentioned a ball puller screw. Sooner or later half of us will drop a ball or sabot in with no powder behind it. (or have a problem with wet or damp powder) Although its a must for old school flint and cap guns, you at least have the option of screwing out the back breech plug w/ the omega.
Also a "worm jig" (used to recover a lost cleaning patch in the barrel is a nice extra) so you don't have to remove the breech plug every time.

KYPD- Keep Your Powder Dry and best of luck w/ the new gun!

Lundy

A lot of good avice already given

I strongly suggest you keep it simple.

100 gr ( 2 - 50 gr pellets) of either Pyrodex or Triple 7

Use a 250 gr SST or Hornady Shockwave, they are the same bullet, or really any bullet in the 250 - 300 gr area.

Use Federal 209A or CCI magnum 209 shotshells primers if you can find them, they are a little hotter burning.

SAFETY

Put a witness mark on your ramrod. This is some kind of mark that lets you know when you have a load in your gun and that it is fully seated. A bullet that has come off of the powder load is not a good thing. A double load is not a good thing.

I uses yellow electrical tape and put a couple of wraps around my range rod and my hunting rods to prevent loading mistakes.

My primary hunting partner hunts with an Omega and it is a nice gun.

Are you in Central Ohio? I would be willing to meet with you and show you what you need to know. In less than 30 min you could have all of the basics down. I even have some T7 and Pyrodex pellets and bullets you can have to get you started

at1010

*Supporting Member*
lundy I am not in central Ohio, but I may have time in a week or two to make a drive.

Lundy

Send me a PM of where you live.

I travel all over this state and others for business. I was in beautiful Scioto County and Ashland KY the last couple of days.

We can probably find a way to meet up

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I TOO shoot an Omega. Love That Gun! 90 grains of powder and a 250 Hornady Sabot.
I started with 80 grains of powder and went up 5 grains until I reached 100........I settled in at 90. Bore was cleaned in between shots also.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lots of great info and tips already given, good luck with your muzzy AT!

Like mentioned before, be sure to get some breech plug grease! After shooting the threads on your breech plug get very hot and the grease makes it easier to unscrew later.