Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If I had the power

Lundy

I would institute something like this for at least some of the counties in Zone C.

The only problem would be a modification would be needed in just a few years due to the population getting too large.

What would you do if you had the ultimate power to make change?

Season- 1st half – Sept 1 – Sunday after Thanksgiving
1 buck – Tag $25 (non resident $200)
1 doe – Tag $25 (non resident $200)
ONLY ONE DOE can be harvested during each season segment

Season – 2nd half – First Monday after Thanksgiving through Jan 31
1 buck – tag $25 (non Resident $200)
1 doe – Tag $25 (non resident $200)
ONLY ONE doe can be harvested during each season segment.

URBAN areas – All season
1 buck – Tag $35 ( non resident $125)
Unlimited does – Tag $10 ( Non resident $50)

Notes:
You may kill no more than 2 bucks combined by seasons or hunting method or locations
You may kill no more than 1 buck during any one season, 1st half or 2nd half season, unless the second buck is harvested from a Urban hunting area.
Tags are not either sex tags, they are specific buck or doe tags. Button bucks need to be tagged with a buck tag.
Non resident hunters may harvest only one buck no matter what the seasons or hunting methods or areas.
You may harvest no more than two does combined by seasons or hunting method outside of urban hunting areas.
There would be no limit on does in Urban hunting areas.
Baiting would be illegal
Drives with more than 5 participants would be illegal
Hunting hrs ½ before sunrise to ½ hr after sunset.
PCR’s legal
.410 shotguns for deer illegal

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree with some of this, but if you make bait illegal you might as well include food plots. Essentially it all is implemented for the same reason... luring deer.

I like the idea of spreading doe killing out.
I don't like the idea of killing 2 bucks (or did I read that wrong?).

nis1

Yea, I'm not diggin the two buck thing either. But with the new check in system, everyone's checking their bucks in as does anyways so it might not matter.

Lundy

I know a lot of people like the one buck rule but I'm not sure why as it relates to deer herd management.

Please explain

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
What's your theory for the 2-buck rule and why it would help?

I could just see a lot of guys getting less picky and shooting the first buck they see if they knew they had two buck tags in their pocket.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Lol...I don't agree with much at all.

I would go back to mandatory check ins and get rid of telecheck.
Must purchase a real deer tag, no print it from home and make a dozen copies.
Back to a 1,2,3 limit for zones a,b, and C.
Remove bonus weekend.
End bow season on Jan 31. and maybe push back the opener to the first weekend in October.
NR deer permit $250.

Last edited:

oakswamper

around Toledo
Not all urban areas are the same, I own property in western lucas county and there is no way it should be included in the urban area. I see a few more deer now because the Metro parks have been buying property in the area but I can still go out and sit and not see a deer for 3 days.

The only areas in lucas county that have a lot of deer (too many) is around Maumee (along river), Ottawa hills (no way to hunt them), and the parks off of Central in Toledo (no way to hunt). I say no way to hunt them, but they could let some bow hunters come in and kill deer in these area's but the anti's threw a fit when they tried it in Maumee about 10 years ago and haven't done it since.

Sorry about the rant but this urban thing pisses me off more and more every year and the odnr won't listen to a word any of us ( farmers in area agree with me) have to say.

I would disagree with the 2 buck thing in my area but I agree there are things that need to change

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know a lot of people like the one buck rule but I'm not sure why as it relates to deer herd management.

Please explain

My guess would be that limiting buck harvest results in an increased average age structure of the bucks in the herd. Increase age structure results in bigger bodies, larger racks... more entries into BBBC... more publicity for deer hunting in Ohio. Evey buck you kill is one less that makes it to the next season... one less potential trophy running around. Why would you want to reduce the number of mature bucks running around?

Lol...I don't agree with much at all.

I would go back to mandatory check ins and get rid of telecheck.
Must purchase a real deer tag, no print it from home and make a dozen copies.
Back to a 1,2,3 limit for zones a,b, and C.
Remove bonus weekend.
End bow season on Jan 31. and maybe push back the opener to the first weekend in October.
NR deer permit $250.

I'm mostly in agreement with what Schu has posted. Although, your comment about the photocopies of deer permits doesn't make much sense. Each permit you buy has its own specific permit number... Which is recorded in the system when you check in a deer... So it doesn't matter if you have one copy or 100, as soon as you tag a deer with that permit, that permit number then becomes useless.

Oh, and I would definitely be in favor of making baiting illegal. I disagree that food plots should be in the same category, though. IMO a food plot doesn't have the same power of attraction as a pile of corn.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm mostly in agreement with what Schu has posted. Although, your comment about the photocopies of deer permits doesn't make much sense. Each permit you buy has its own specific permit number... Which is recorded in the system when you check in a deer... So it doesn't matter if you have one copy or 100, as soon as you tag a deer with that permit, that permit number then becomes useless.

JB whos said they were checking them in???? That's some of the problem with the system.... Put the tag on the deer and get it too where you're going too get it cut up and that's it.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Schu72

Streetsboro
That's not how I remember it. Even a few years before telecheck you could buy and print out licences and tags at home. That was the start of the problem and it only got worse with telecheck. They tried several different tags over the years. The old cardboard like tags with the string already attached, then they had the tags that were self adhesive that you put around the antler or leg, then they semi-plastic kind of thing, and finally the plain old paper. If it were a tag that you could not reproduce at home you could not "temp tag" it in the field get it home, butcher the deer yourself, pitch the used bloodied temp tag and then grab another copy of the tag and head out the next day using the "same" tag. I hope that kind of explains the point.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's not how I remember it. Even a few years before telecheck you could buy and print out licences and tags at home. That was the start of the problem and it only got worse with telecheck. They tried several different tags over the years. The old cardboard like tags with the string already attached, then they had the tags that were self adhesive that you put around the antler or leg, then they semi-plastic kind of thing, and finally the plain old paper. If it were a tag that you could not reproduce at home you could not "temp tag" it in the field get it home, butcher the deer yourself, pitch the used bloodied temp tag and then grab another copy of the tag and head out the next day using the "same" tag. I hope that kind of explains the point.

It doesn't matter what the tag is made out of... By law you are required to TEMP TAG the deer before getting it home or to the check in station. It's ALWAYS been that way. The guys breaking the law and not checking them in already have that in mind before they put their temp tag on the carcass... So no matter if it's paper or plastic or whatever, they're going to make it a point to NOT get blood on the tag while transporting it.

The tags themselves have absolutely nothing to do with the problem. It's the fact that you don't have to take the deer anywhere for it to be checked in. And all that really matters not anyway... The guys poaching now are the same guys that were always poaching before. Hell, most of them don't put a tag on them at all... They just take the deer straight to the barn.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
My guess would be that limiting buck harvest results in an increased average age structure of the bucks in the herd. Increase age structure results in bigger bodies, larger racks... more entries into BBBC... more publicity for deer hunting in Ohio. Evey buck you kill is one less that makes it to the next season... one less potential trophy running around. Why would you want to reduce the number of mature bucks running around?

Oh, and I would definitely be in favor of making baiting illegal. I disagree that food plots should be in the same category, though. IMO a food plot doesn't have the same power of attraction as a pile of corn.

What kind of power does it have? Corn has to be a hell of a lot cheaper then putting food plots in, yet people make a huge deal about putting plots in and when and where they do so.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I guess we will just have to disagree on this one. I think that most poachers feel their most at risk of being caught in between the time they start gutting the deer and getting it home. By allowing them to purchase one reproducible tag they have unlimited opportunities to appear legal from the time they shoot any deer until they start butchering. Any non-reproducible tag would not be able to be dated and timed over and over.

Sorry for the hijack...I'm done with the tag issue.:smiley_depressive:

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
The tags themselves have absolutely nothing to do with the problem. It's the fact that you don't have to take the deer anywhere for it to be checked in. And all that really matters not anyway... The guys poaching now are the same guys that were always poaching before. Hell, most of them don't put a tag on them at all... They just take the deer straight to the barn.

No. Not having to take them to be checked in, has made it easier for more people to poach. We never used to hear gun shots in the middle of the night, now we do. How easy is it to shot a deer, then tag it in as a bow kill? Yes, poachers will still poach, but the DNR has just made it a hell of a lot easier.

Poached bucks can now be mounted with a "legal" called-in tag.

When they were first going to this system, Rick and I went to check in our deer and we were asked to try out their new, upcoming system, tell them what we thought and ask any questions. My question was "isn't this making it a lot easier for people to poach?" and the lady wanted to tell me the same crap.........."poachers will always poach", without bothering to consider that they are helping "borderline would-be" poachers have at it.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I agree with the old laws as mentioned, 3 deer zone c, only one buck. Button Bucks tagged in as your buck. Deer must be checked at check station. No extra weekend. Metal tags again. JMO