Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First year trapping

youngbuck

Hey there I'll be 16 in a few months and have hunted with my dad since I was 10. Last year he gave me a few Duke 1 1/2 leg traps and I tried a few sets but mostly got skunks. This year I'm really serious about trapping and doing a lot of research on how to properly set traps. Yesterday I didn't have school so on my grandparent's property I set two Duke 1 1/2 leg traps out and used old meat loaf for bait. After school today I went out to check them and found this nice coon! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354666421.727990.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
YB Congrats on the new hobby.... looking forward too your posts on your progress.... and welcome too the site....

badger

*Supporting Member*
That's a dandy coon right there!

Welcome to the site, I hope you hang around as we could use more young members, and you are a trapper to boot!

I'll be starting a trapping thread here very soon. I worked all day on snares and anchors. Hopefully I'll get some cable hung in the next day or two.

youngbuck

Thanks to all you guys for the support, after getting the coon I reset my traps and used stinky chicken for bait. After reading around here looks like marshmallow and syrup is good. Thanks again and I will be checking the traps again tomorrow!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
welcome to too youngbuck. good luck this season!

Man, we really need to get a trapping seminar/get together in the works! this stuff looks like a great time!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Welcome to TOO! Great Fellas here. Congrat's on the dandy coon. Nothing like the first coon....you will remember that for a long time. I can still see mine and it was 37 years ago! Good Luck Buddy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congratulations on your first trapped coon and finding TOO! Great website with plenty of knowledgeable people on here. Keep saying i am going to get into trapping but haven't done it yet. I have 20+ years on you, but you are up one coon on me. lol

Diablo54

Outside
Congrats pup. The marshmallow is good. my personal favorite coon set is a simple pocket set or dirt hole set in a creek bank next to a corn field Set your trap a few inches behind the hole. Either sift dirt back on top or place leaves over it. The best bait I've used is sardines. The smell must get to em. You also can't beat blind sets on the corners of culverts. Might even catch a mink.

youngbuck

Well after a nice day out I checked my traps I reset last night and had this little grinner. It's nothing special but I'm really happy to go two days for my first time and get two animals. Learning something new about trapping everyday!

youngbuck

Well last night I went to my local fur trader to take in my coon and while we were up there my dad got me two Duke dog proof traps. We set them out last night as soon as we could and just checked them this morning to find this nice coon. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354972696.748212.jpg