Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Min. load to do the job?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Shooting an 50 cal. Omega in-line
777 powder and a 200 Gr.spire point Shock Wave sabot ,

What could be the lowest charge I could use and still have enough oomph to kill a typical deer. 70, 80, 90gr?

My daughter had the pleasure of emptying the gun for me yesterday so I could clean it. The 100 gr charge set her back some so I started to wonder how low (amount of powder)I could go and still make a killing shot out to 50-75 yards...:smiley_chinrub:

Kaiser878

ohio
I load my muzzy for Jen with a 250 shockwave, with 50 grains of pyrodex powder. Last year she shot a doe at 60 yards and dropped her where she stood. Plus there is little to no recoil with only 50 grains of powder.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Kaiser beat me to it. He told me the exact same thing last year so I put 50 grains of 777 powder in my T/C and my son practiced with it and ended up killing a nice doe. I think out to 60-70 yards it shoots almost identical. I do know that at 100 yards it will be about 16" low.

It's a great round for a woman or a small kid, just remember to limit the range to around 50 yards max and it will work great.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Really I would have faith in 30-40 grains and a .240 gr XTP out to 50 yards, that would be ballistically similar to a .45 long colt.

BTW I said XTP because that is a bullet I know and feel confident recommending. Also I think with the lighter charge a heavier bullet is the way to go.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
When I first started shooting my muzzy the dealer who sold me and was setting me up/helping me sight in started with 70 gr and I was shocked at how light the recoil was

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good to know. Maybe we can get my son into shooting the TC. I have been hesitant because he is leery of the boom.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Phil,
When practicing have him use earplugs and muff, doubling up works good. You can also have him wear muffs even when hunting, if you are right there with him you can be his ears.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Can't add any more than what has been said already. I know Mark Drury loads his T/C with 50 grains and a 250 grain Shockwave for his daughter. Seems to be a great way to get kids and women in to shooting muzzys...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Can't add any more than what has been said already. I know Mark Drury loads his T/C with 50 grains and a 250 grain Shockwave for his daughter. Seems to be a great way to get kids and women in to shooting muzzys...

Right Jesse and the "One shot, one kill" concept will be good to prevent sky busting or just blasting away.
Thanks everyone. I would have thought 50 gr. was to slow. I just plan on providing a rest as the gun is on the heavy side.

Kaiser878

ohio
I have been donig a lot of reading on muzzy powders. The guy who owns the hunting shop in my town happens to be a friend of mine. He is big into shooting and what not. If I ever have a gun or load question i go to him. He is shooting blackhorn 209, and has been for several years. He rattled off a bunch of different things to me about why its better but one was that it shoots and burns the same at 60 degreees as it does at 10 degrees... It also burns hotter or soemthing, something about your able to shoot less powder and get the same results and velocities as shooting higher amounts of different powders..I dont know... It was all foreign to me... He also shoots barnes bullets!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I bought one of these for my wife and it has been a great addition to the hunting arsenal...

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/os/products/hunting-outdoor/detail-2-12-90-382.html

Well thats something to consider... I was just going to cut a couple of Maple saplings and use a zip tie. lol

Thanks Kiaser. Happy w/ the powder and round. I just did not to under power the charge and wound a deer. I'll probably have to go to loose if the 50 gr. pellet doesn't give me the groups I'm getting w/ the 100 gr. ( At 50 yards, I have 3 holes touching. )

Kaiser878

ohio
Well thats something to consider... I was just going to cut a couple of Maple saplings and use a zip tie. lol

Thanks Kiaser. Happy w/ the powder and round. I just did not to under power the charge and wound a deer. I'll probably have to go to loose if the 50 gr. pellet doesn't give me the groups I'm getting w/ the 100 gr. ( At 50 yards, I have 3 holes touching. )

Not a problem. Glad I could help. Just figured I would throw out some other info I received...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The big boom goes away with a set of electronic earmuffs. I never shoot a gun without electronic earmuffs. Plus they enhance your hearing in the hunting woods. I hunt 11 hrs per day and never remove or turn off the muffs.
Plus the shooter doesn't need any extra ears with them to hear the deer moving. Just saying.
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My son uses 70 grain 777 with a 200 grain shock wave. He's killed 3 deer with it.

Curious as to the size of your son? My boy is around 55-60lbs. If I get him over the boom (which I am confident can be done), the last thing I want to do is have the recoil make him twice as gun shy.

lung buster

hocking county
Curious as to the size of your son? My boy is around 55-60lbs. If I get him over the boom (which I am confident can be done), the last thing I want to do is have the recoil make him twice as gun shy.

7 yr old 65 lbs. Start with 50 grains and work up. Thats what we did. He wears hearing protection when hunting too.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Really I would have faith in 30-40 grains and a .240 gr XTP out to 50 yards, that would be ballistically similar to a .45 long colt.

BTW I said XTP because that is a bullet I know and feel confident recommending. Also I think with the lighter charge a heavier bullet is the way to go.

I'm curions Sam. About what are the ballistics for a load like that?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm really lik-en this thread guys. I think a single shot gun like a muzzle loader is a great way to start out a young or new deer hunter. "One shot..."
I'm surprised at how low a charge a 200-250 Gr. round need to be able to harvest a deer. Thank you for all the interest !