Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Will you pick up where you left off?

I'm going to give the deer a week off, of sorts. I've only seen 2 deer (does) all week long.

So, with all the blown down trees that are in the woods that I've been hunting, I've decided to do some tree trimming, move some brush and build several ground blinds. A couple of the original trails that the deer have been using for years were blocked off with the blown down trees. I figure reopening those trails and using that brush would be a good way to build some ground blinds...at the same time. If nothing else, they'll be used to it by the late season, in January and/or when the snow flies.

Do you guys plan to continue bowhunting where you left off?
Are you planning to give them a week or more to settle back in to their old routines?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Picking right back up. If I wait two weeks it will be the bonus weekend. I want to get Garrett out and onto a deer. Wait until after bonus weekend a couple weeks and it will be muzzle loader season. Wait until after that and it will be over. Let's face it, we aren't going to see temps in the 60's much longer. Colder it gets the harder it will be to hunt with him.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I TOO didn't see deer all week. That's never happened before for gun season ... just crazy. Just the same, my cams are telling me they're still coming thru, even during the day, such as today in that heavy downpour out behind the house while I was snoozing after being up on the ridge earlier in the morning until the rain chased me away. I'll be out again starting Thurs morn. The weather will be much better then.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm taking all of December off then will hit it again in muzzy and then bowhunt (if necessary).
I have an antlerless tag left and live in an urban zone; my neighbor across the street has deer in his backyard and has given me permission to ....well....you know....:smiley_devil:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I'm really thinking of hanging it up until the snow flies. Only going in to throw down corn, then right back out. I am at that point of frustration to where I jsut want to hang it up. I can't believe I havent gotten an opportunity at anything decent yet. Just basket racks and spikes. I have seen em, they are there, just haven't had any opportunities. I feel pretty defeated at this point.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm startin to crank up my second season...Im gettin excited..needed this rain to quiet the woods down. I'm gonna get my asat 3d leafy suit on and do some sneakin' and peekin'

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Won't be out this week. I walked all the properties I have permission on Saturday, so I will let them settle down a bit. May try to get a bow hunt or two in before bonus gun weekend.

I have one Either Sex permit left, and have decided that with the little time I have to hunt the remainder of the year, I will fill my last tag with either a nice mature buck or a mature doe, whichever gives me the opportunity first.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Gonna pick it back up tomorrow morning, then I will hunt most if the weekend. Gonna get some cameras deployed so I can see who made it.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm taking a week off to regroup and regain my patience. Then I'll hit it when the weather is perfect.

Unfortunately, I have baseball workouts starting next week, so my weekday time will be limited a bit. Gotta whip the players not playing basketball or wrestling into shape.

Kaiser878

ohio
I have been pretty relentless with my season thus far..This week put things into perspective for me... I started thinking about how determined I was and how much I missed out on. SO I spent the weekend in the blind with Jen(gf) so she could get some seat time. We didnt see any deer she wanted to put her tag on, but we saw plenty.. SHe has really surprised me with her patience and ability to hold off on deer. Needless to say she never pulled the trigger, but I am sure her time will come.

As for me, I will be duck hunting for a while now.. I have a lab at home who I think is getting ready to trade me in for a master that actually hunts ducks. I know of some birds floating around and hitting some spots, so Leo will be getting some worrk starting tomorrow. As for deer, Im not done. I refuse to give up this easily. At the end of the year when I have a buck tag laying in front of me, I want to be able to say that I gave 110% of my effort. In the end if I dont fill a tag, its by my own decisions from early in the season till the end. All I am praying for now is for the bottom to fall out of the temperatures.. I think things will change once that happens! Good luck to all who are planning on hunting late season

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good for you Zach. Good to hear you enjoying the experiences with Jen. Good to hear you aren't throwing in the towel. Chase some ducks and enjoy yourself. Come back rejuvenated. Good luck.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm done bowhunting until the last week or two of the season. My main focus right now is getting ready for the baby and waterfowl. I do plan to hunt Saturday morning of the bonus weekend with Tracie if she is up to it, and muzzleloader if things are alright on the home front considering we'll have a newborn by that time. If and when I'm on the farm, it will be to put out corn and check cams. There will be no more pressure there until next fall...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just hooked up my boat. I'm going fishing! I have a crossbow on the way, can't wait to try that thing out, and I'll probably hunt with Dad's old recurve some too...but it's warm now, and I'm taking advantage of it as soon as the rain passes.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm going to be picking up right where I left off. The main property I bowhunt, from what I saw this week, did not appear to be hunted at all during gun week. The surrounding properties have been hunted, though... So I think the sooner I get back in there the better. I am however an equal opportunity assassin... so if I catch wind of field or marsh holding lots of birds, I'll be out whackin ducks or geese.

Gordo

Athens County
I need some freezer filling and some quality time in the woods. I'll be hitting it with any free time, which is hard to come by at this juncture

Jesse said:
My main focus right now is getting ready for the baby and waterfowl.
Jesse,
Waterfowling and bowhunting for deer are in direct conflict with each other for time and time of the year. :smiley_chinrub:

As for the baby, well, they always seem eat up all your hunting, fishing and any other time that you thought you had planned out...as well they should. Family is very important! BTW...Congratulations! :smiley_clap:

Bowhunter57