Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

T&K Archery

Ricer2231

I just recently purchased a "new to me" bow and I am getting new cables and string for it and having a local bow shop,T&K Archery, do the work for me. I have not dealt with them before and I was wondering if any of you guys have. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Ricer, I have never dealt with them personally but some of the guys I work with deal with them and I havent heard anything bad about them, my buddy just got some new strings put on his hoyt there this fall and is happy with it, congrats on the new bow!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
To save you some headaches have them make your yoke cable split in stead of floating. That will help. If they only do floating then have them serve it shut just above the yoke connection to the down cable.

Ricer2231

To save you some headaches have them make your yoke cable split in stead of floating. That will help. If they only do floating then have them serve it shut just above the yoke connection to the down cable.

I don't know exactly what that means but I am sure they will. What exactly will this do?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don't know exactly what that means but I am sure they will. What exactly will this do?
allow you to adjust top cam lean out. i never order floating yokes on cam & 1/2's. some bows need a little cam lean in them to shoot bullet holes on paper, others don't. it allows you to have tuning flexibility.

Ricer2231

Ricer, I have never dealt with them personally but some of the guys I work with deal with them and I havent heard anything bad about them, my buddy just got some new strings put on his hoyt there this fall and is happy with it, congrats on the new bow!

We really don't have a lot of bow shops around here so the choices are pretty slim. Thanks on the congrats, I am really stoked about this bow and I can't wait to get it strung up and try it out.

Ricer2231

allow you to adjust top cam lean out. i never order floating yokes on cam & 1/2's. some bows need a little cam lean in them to shoot bullet holes on paper, others don't. it allows you to have tuning flexibility.

Sorry but I just don't know a lot about tuning and technical stuff. I just shoot 'em and have someone else fix it. But you said it would save me some headaches, what head aches? And can ya explain the difference between a split yoke and a floating yoke? Sorry for the ignorance but I am just trying to learn as much as I can about this "new" bow.

T&K is a fine place for buying guns and hunting items..The owners Tom and Kathy are very nice an down to earth folks...That being said they have no onsite indoor range,and I dont think they even have a area to paper tune a bow.....I feel these among other things are needed to tune a bow for a individual others dont feel these things are needed..I just aint sure how the process works for them....Great folks though and I love to stop in and shoot the shit with them........From what I have read around I would just make a trip up to Milo's place if he will have ya.....If you want to stay closer to home maybe Buckeye outdoors,but I feel Milo will give ya more bang for your buck on the technical aspect.........

Last edited:

Ricer2231

T&K is a fine place for buying guns and hunting items..The owners Tom and Kathy are very nice an down to earth folks...That being said they have no onsite indoor range,and I dont think they even have a area to paper tune a bow.....I feel these among other things are needed to tune a bow for a individual others dont feel these things are needed..I just aint sure how the process works for them....Great folks though and I love to stop in and shoot the shit with them........From what I have read around I would just make a trip up to Milo's place if he will have ya.....If you want to stay closer to home maybe Buckeye outdoors,but I feel Milo will give ya more bang for your buck on the technical aspect.........
To be honest with ya I went there because of the fact they are a Hoyt dealer and they are pretty close to me. I had heard a couple bad things about Buckeye so I was just kinda leary about them. I am relatively new here so I don't know too many people on a personal level so I didn't realize Milo was a bow tuner.

Skeeter Creek Outdoors is Milo....I have never had him do any work personally,but he seems to have a pretty good reputation around here...I wouldn't hesitate to give him a shot if I didn't try to do most of my own work.....Buckeye is fine but they like most places give ya a basic tune and such,which seems fine for most folks...I am willing to bet Milo goes through the process with more attention to detail than most shops.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo dialed in my Hoyt and my Elite. Drove over 2 hours to let him do it. Okay. That is a fib. My sister lives 20min from him.:smiley_crocodile:

Truth is, it was a great excuse to escape my sister's house while visiting. Not your typical bow shop. He knows what he is doing, he is fairly priced, and you will leave feeling confident your bow has been properly set up.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I know a few of the guys at Buckeye. They are not bad, just more of a mass-production thing as they are so busy. I believe you will get better Personal Service from a guy like Milo.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
appreciate the atta boys fellas but i just want him to get set up right the first time. I know what its like to not get what your expecting.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ricer,

Floating yokes are....well im just going to say useless...I'm not completely sure what the point really is. all bows can experience cam lean and if you you can imagine the arrow side of your riser and a verticle string or line. The string lays just to the left(right handed shooter) of that riser line. if your cam tilts one way or the other, it takes the string with it and issues can come up with the string finishing not parallel to the riser. this also depends on a few other items as well but mostly a static yoke allows us you set the bow back to square and reduces the associated issues leading up to potential problems. Its very hard to type out obviously but easier to show you on paper.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
T&K's shop is nice, in a pinch, or for some pretty cheap stuff from a small vendor. I had tuning issues while I was down there and they were my only option, how I found them 3 years ago. He wasn't able to fix the issue and I had to switch to the Rage to get something to fly straight in a pinch. I like the shop, but I don't know how technically sound they are back there.

And as also stated, no where to shoot.

Ricer2231

Ricer,

Floating yokes are....well im just going to say useless...I'm not completely sure what the point really is. all bows can experience cam lean and if you you can imagine the arrow side of your riser and a verticle string or line. The string lays just to the left(right handed shooter) of that riser line. if your cam tilts one way or the other, it takes the string with it and issues can come up with the string finishing not parallel to the riser. this also depends on a few other items as well but mostly a static yoke allows us you set the bow back to square and reduces the associated issues leading up to potential problems. Its very hard to type out obviously but easier to show you on paper.

I do have a better understanding of what you are talking about now. So if this is the case with a floating yoke, why would Hoyt build it that way? But at least I can tell the bow shop what I want them to do and why when I go to have my new string and cables installed. Thank you for clarifying it for me.

Ricer2231

T&K's shop is nice, in a pinch, or for some pretty cheap stuff from a small vendor. I had tuning issues while I was down there and they were my only option, how I found them 3 years ago. He wasn't able to fix the issue and I had to switch to the Rage to get something to fly straight in a pinch. I like the shop, but I don't know how technically sound they are back there.

And as also stated, no where to shoot.

Yep, we are really limited as to a bow shop in this area. I will have them install my string and cables but I really do wish they had somewhere to shoot it after they got it done.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I do have a better understanding of what you are talking about now. So if this is the case with a floating yoke, why would Hoyt build it that way? But at least I can tell the bow shop what I want them to do and why when I go to have my new string and cables installed. Thank you for clarifying it for me.
Hoyt is SOOOO proud of them that they don't use them any more:smiley_blackeye: I chalk it up to being in a lab and having a perfect scenario to design a bow around, then reality sets in and whoops they didn't take that into effect... Kind of a homer simpson moment. all their new bows have statics..I tuned Gordo's bow on here (hoyt vector turbo)and his bow actually had to have some cam lean put into it to get it to shoot correctly. I attribute it to the roller guards and their rigidity. They are split limbs also and each limb has its own deflection rate.

Last edited: