Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well crap...

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Hunted Letterkenny today. The morning started out slow, but just as I was about to get out of my stand (around 1100) for lunch, someone must have opened up the barn gates because I was literally covered in deer. For two hours I had six deer feeding under my stand. One was a doe who had to be at least 6 years old. I passed on all of them because I was holding out for one of the bucks I had seen in weeks past.

At 2 pm the buck that made #3 on that list showed up. He was 20 yards and when I shot and my arrow harmlessly flew over his back by about 12 inches (that's what happens when you aren't focused). The good news that he only ran 10 yards, stopped, and started looking around. At 25 yards I took another shot and it was all up hill from there. When I released I didn't' follow through and at the shot looked up to see where the arrow had gone. When this happens it pulls your arrow to the left and although it was on the correct angle for a kill shot the arrow impacted 1.5 feet to the left and I hit him in the ham...... The buck took off and ran past me and for a second I thought I may have hit him in the gut, but after looking at the arrow it's apparent that it was all muscle. Like most muscle hits there was copious amounts of blood for 100-150 yards and then it slows down to the point that they are just specks.

I'm going back tomorrow (If security will let me on base) to look for him. He's probably OK, but ethically I could never live with myself if I didn't try. I hate it when this happens, but unfortunately it's the ugly side of bow hunting. What I hate even more is how I start doubting my abilities and questioning my equipment choice. There's nothing wrong with my shooting; I'm not a bad shot with a traditional bow. What's wrong is that I let the emotions and excitement of the moment cloud my concentration when I should have been focused and precise with my follow through.

The lesson learned is that no matter how bad you want something you need to focus and follow through otherwise you are only going create disaster. I'll let you know how to tomorrow goes.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Here he is!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354467300661.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354467300661.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 87