Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My "Trophy" buck from this year

Outdoor guy

I grew up hunting with my father in eastern Ohio. He taught me a lot about being in the outdoors and we learned a lot together. Some of my best memories of him were spent chasing deer. When we hunted we shot whatever was put in front of us. Over the years I've tried to become more selective with the deer that I harvest. Because of that I have shot few bucks. According to some people, I've never shot a quality buck. One thing I learned from my dad was that it's about the hunt, the journey, the experience, not necessarily about the size of the antlers.

My father passed away October 8th this year. One of the bitter sweet moments was the privilege of having some of my dad's guns. This year I decided to hunt with the last shotgun that my dad used to hunt deer with. I made it my goal to harvest a deer for dad.

Last year a non-hunting friend asked me to take his son James hunting and to teach him about deer hunting and the outdoors. I was honored and gladly accepted. On James' first hunting trip last year he harvested a 7 point buck. Within the first two hours! He was happy, I was ecstatic!

So deer season rolls around this year and I find myself sitting in a treestand with James again. Before the sun begins its daily ascent we're sitting in the stand and I'm talking to James about hunting. I told him that last year it was great that he shot a deer so early, especially a buck, but that he needs to enjoy being there, not just harvesting a deer. I told him "in fact, I haven't shot a buck for at least four years!" We began talking strategy about what we will do when a deer gets close. I told him that he gets the first shot but if there is more than one deer he needs to tell me which deer he's shooting at so I can shoot at another one after he shoots. He looked at me and said "well if it's a buck you can shoot it. I shot a buck last year and you haven't shot one for a long time." I didn't see a need to go into the fact that my goal is to harvest a mature deer so I've let many little bucks walk by. This 13 year old young man's selfless thoughts humbled me. I was speechless (which is rare). When I gained my composure I simply said "we'll see what happens". About ten minutes later we could hear walking coming toward us. It was legal shooting time but still kind of dark. When it got close it was directly to our right (James was sitting on my left) and I could see it was a buck. I couldn't tell how big, but I told James that it was a buck. I expected him to maneuver around me to prepare to shoot it but instead he whispered "shoot it!" I was pretty sure it didn't have a big rack and I was torn. The body looked big and mature but the rack probably wasn't impressive. As I looked through the scope of my father's gun I contemplated my decision. Suddenly I heard a loud bang and the gun in my hand jumped. The deer ran a short distance and we heard the distinct "crash" of a quick clean kill.

I sat there and thought about my father taking me hunting when I was 13. I thought of the generosity of the young man sitting beside me. I imagined being 13, seeing a deer, the excitement and anticipation, and how anxious I was to shoot one myself! But not James. He wanted me to shoot that deer. He didn't hesitate or think twice about it. As we were sitting in the stand after I shot, I tried to explain to James that I was holding my dad's gun and how much that deer meant to me but I couldn't get the words out. The tears, they had no trouble flowing freely. The words took a while to come to me. My young wise friend who isn't much for talking said "that makes that a special deer then". You have no idea James! No idea! THAT is a trophy of a lifetime!

561623_10200211952288264_1202088482_n.jpg

Diablo54

Outside
200" or 20" doesn't matter. Great story! I'm saving my last tag to use grandpas old bear to kill a doe this year. Hopefully I will have a result like you. Congrats and thanks for a great story!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
That is a great deer and a great hunt! Fantastic write up. From using your fathers gun to mentoring James to his great outlook, the story has it all.

Congrats!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That's just an awesome story right there & what hunting is all about. No doubt that deer is a true trophy. Thanks for taking the time and posting up that story Kent!!

And welcome to TOO!!! :smiley_cheers:

dangerousoldman

these things that we experience is what makes hunting what it is to true sportsmen.How can a nonhunter ever understand? Never about size, or quantity but the personal experience. You and your new partner certainly have a great partnership. Great story, great experience and sounds like two great people. Makes me proud to be a part of this community. that young man is learning so much more than just about hunting.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That is Truly Awesome! I'm rarely speechless and that done it right there.

Welcome TOO TOO! Congrat's on the Buck, The Great Story and A fine friendship for years to come.