Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Wednesday Adventure

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sam and I have been hunting together with his friends over at an orchard east of where we live, we've had some decent luck this year and have pulled out about 4 or 5 deer so far with Sam getting his doe Wed and he's already posted that story so I figured I'd highlight my Wednesday adventure as well.....

Sam puleed the trigger on his in the morning and I believe it was the second or third drive that morning, we broke for lunch around noon and hit again around 1:30 with me posting on a hillside flanking the drivers below, well I picked a spot that was able too over look most of the upper part of the drive and where they were going too eventually hit a boundry and had too move up a hillside then over and me hitting the road and walking too a powerline.... Well they start moving and within minutes two doe bust over the top about 40 yards from me crossing the road.... No shot.... Dang, oh well stay focussed.... Next I hear rustling down below me and out runs a 6 point, small basket rack 1.5 y/o buck.... No buck tag..... Okay of course 30 yards broadside he stops and scans the road and the bottom he wants too hightail through.... Oh well a couple of minutes later I see orange of the driver on the bottom of the hollar.....

My turn too move, I make it down too the road and start a fast pace walk too the power line, I get too the border of the property that we have permission on and out of the thicket run two doe paralleling the road..... Okay I watch too see where they go and of course they come out onto the road standing broadside at 30 yards just eyeballing me like.... Yeah go ahead tempting as it was I gave them a pass..... Make it too the power line and start the trek up the hillside and stop too catch my wind and look around and saw pretty good sign of them crossing there so I just waited there.... Fast fwd a few minutes and out pops a doe and heading my way, all I have are head shots due too the hi weeds and briars so I wait, and sure enough out she comes onto the same trail I'm standing on.... A chip shot right???? Well I already had the gun up flip off the safety and squeeze the trigger and CLICK...... WTH!!!!! Bring the bolt up and back down and CLICK...... She was looking around at the first CLICK... And caught me on the second CLICK..... Off she goes.....

Drivers hit the power line and I'm just thinking WTH just happened..... Pull the round out and has an indentation on the primer..... Meet Sam up the hill a little ways and he looks at it and was on the same page as far as yeah deep enough too set it off.... Pulled the bolt looked at it and put it back together and walked up too the top and tried firing it again..... Click..... Put another round in it BANG..... Well at least it wasn't he gun having issues.... (It's my new Savage 220) So once I get some time next week I'm going too fire off (No pun intended) and email too Remington about there lot# of the ACUTIPS...... Was it a booner of a deer???? Nope, just some meat for the freezer for my brother who's working and can't hunt this year due too some health issues but none the less..... When I buy VERY EXPENSIVE SABOTS I expect them too go BANG not CLICK at the prey I'm shooting at....

Sorry for the long post, I ramble behind the keyboard alot :smiley_clap:

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Speaking of adventures what're you doing next Saturday? You home or on the rig? If you're home lets chase some bunnies.... I'll see if I can talk dam into it..... and on your way down you can grab Dale???

Lundy

You are not the only one to experience this recently. This was on another Ohio site last week.

Decided to switch from Lightfields this year. Too heavy for the area we hunt and now around $16/box. Lots of open area and long shots are common and I wanted something flatter shooting - even if the price is similar.

Decided to try Hornady SST's and Rem Accutips. I had picked up three boxes from a fellow OGF-er last year but had not shot them until this year.

First time out, Hornady's shot pretty well, 3-4inch groups at 100, but I was really impressed with the Accutips shooting 2-3 inch groups. Shooting a Marlin 512 Slugmaster (bolt action) with 1.5-4.5x scope.

Here's the problem. Of three boxes of Accutips, I had one misfire from each box. Looked like solid, well centered primer strikes on all three. This gun has NEVER misfired in 3 past seasons and many other types of slugs. Chalked it up to the age and unknown storage of the ammo.

Purchased 5 more fresh boxes from Dicks. Also upgraded to a 3-9x40 scope. Off to the range at Grand River last Wednesday.

Once again, very impressed with accuracy. first box had a very nice 1.5 inch group just low at 100 yds. Dialed up a bit and fired the next round 1.5 high at 12o'clock.

Next round - Misfire!, next round, MISFIRE!, next round -

HANGFIRE!!! I had just raised my head from the scope when it went off.

Switched to Hornadys at that point and got a 3 inch group at 100.

Not knowing if the gun was malfunctioning, I then stripped and cleaned the bolt thoroughly when I got home that evening. There was no buildup of crud or gummed up oil. I even stretched the firing pin spring by .10 inches thinking it might be a light strike problem.

Off to Coshocton range yesterday with the last three boxes. First box - no problem same 2 inch group in a nasty crosswind. 6th round no problem. No 7 - ANOTHER MISFIRE.

Resighted with Hornady's at that point. I'm not entirely happy with a 3-4inch group because the Lightfields and Accutips are more accurate in this gun. No other choice at this point.

I've spoken with Remington and they are sending a Fedex label to return the unfired ammo and three of the misfired rounds for analysis. I've done some Searching on the net and found quite a few report of them misfiring. Rem blames it on "hard" primer metal and primer mix. I noticed also that the shell bases are sometimes concave from the seating of the primer. I measured the depth of the primer face compared to Hornadys and Lightfields with a caliper depth gauge.

Lightfields measured 3-5mils for 5 rounds I have on hand.
Hornadys measured 3-7 mils for the ten that I measured.
Rem Accutips measure 6-12mils for the remaining 7 rounds I have.

I'm wondering if the misfires could be the rounds with deeper primers as a contributing factor.

Bottom line - I'll never shoot them again and they owe me some coin for wasting my time/money on their product. The hangfire is a SERIOUS safety issue in my book.

They say that they'll send me a report of their analysis results. Count on me to post that report to this thread once I have it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah, didn't work out as planned and gotta admit I was pretty ticked off about it, but still had a lot of fun hutning with Sam and his buddies and @ the end of the day that's what it's all about enjoying time with friends.... Deer are just the bonus..... :smiley_coolpeace:

Dale, Hopefully we can make it work.....

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
J, I was considering getting some of these Remington Accutips to try out next year....I realize that it was only one load that went click but who knows how many more out there will go click...and I agree, Monster deer or doe for the freezer, for that kind of money, they should go BANG everytime....Hope you keep us updated with Remington's customer service.

Good read anyway, sounds like it was a great time, regardless of the click.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
This is my third year using them in 12ga. 2 3/4. Never had a misfire at the range or in the field. Thanks for the heads up.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like a great time, J. And you have a better story to tell than you would have if it would have went BANG!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That sucks J, glad you guys still had a good day out. You thinkin about following up with Remington like the guy in Lundy's post?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah I'm going too follow up with it it next week when I have some down time... I'll definitely keep y'all posted on their response .... oh even though it didn't go bang ithas been a great week hunting with Sam and his buddies ....great bunch of guys there....

And jb you'll have good luck with them I'm always the guy who gets that one bad round hahaha

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Yep the hunting gods had a good laugh at your expense J. Figures after being where the deer ain't for a couple days when we finally put some deer in front of you have an ammo snafu. :smiley_devil:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Yep the hunting gods had a good laugh at your expense J. Figures after being where the deer ain't for a couple days when we finally put some deer in front of you have an ammo snafu. :smiley_devil:

Good ol Sam diden't give you that amo did he J? mischeif.gif