Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 2012 8 pt.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Just to give you a sense of the property I was hunting, I attached an aerial. The yellow box is the land I have permission to hunt on. As you can see there is a limited area to hunt woods. I have three trees that I use and various places to setup on the ground. All of the property to the west is county owned and off limits. The entire field area was corn as was the neighboring property to the north. I did not see many deer while the corn was up.
I had one trail cam set up and caught a few small bucks and a doe with fawns. The best sign was in the small three acre patch dead center. This sign was the best I had even seen. I knew there was a mature deer using the area. I discussed the scenario with Gern and he gave me some good insight to what was probably going on and how to approach hunting it, which I really appreciated! I hunted many mornings and evenings through out October and November while the corn was up trying to catch him coming or going and I never did run into him.
I started hunting the north end right off of the creek starting at the beginning of the rut. I witnessed my first rut activity from stand. All of the bucks were small and horny, chasing does with fawns. I passed a few different small bucks and a button buck.
Fast forward to Wednesday the 21st right after work. I setup on the treeline, on the ground in my ghillie, just south of the 3 acre woods. The tree line was just mangled with new rubs. I knew that the deer liked to bed in the 3 acre wood on the east side and then they head west to feed in the standing corn in the CRP; Pheasants Forever manages that land. That evening I would see two different bucks and three does. I believe that I saw the buck that I shot 400-500 yards out in the crp to the south west (glassed him). He came out right at dark with a doe while I was getting ready to head to the van. I decided to hunt this Wednesday, right after work again. I decided to start North and stalk the treeline all the way to the 3 acre wood, see red line (sounds like Pooh Bear's Hundred acre wood). I didn't see a single deer as I slowly made my way to the 3 acre wood. As I started to walk into the woods, I saw a massive new scrape and some new rubs on larger diameter trees. I ever so gingerly walked to the X and setup behind a downed tree. This is where I really learned from my mistakes in years past. In the past I would keep walking until I spooked deer thinking I would see them before they would hear me. Duh.
After ten minutes I see a deer. I put up my binoculars and see a doe and then I see him. I about shit my pants. I FINALLY see the deer that has been eluding me for so long. I just knew in my gut it was him. I watched as the walked all the way to the east of that little woods. That distance is 150 yards. At times I contemplated attempting a 150 yards shot. I had him in my sights a few times but I talked myself out of knowing full well I would miss and end up fugging this whole thing up.
As I sit there watching these two pace north and south, I start to notice more deer getting up. There was another smaller 8 pt. and a bunch more does. I don't know if they winded me or they were just staging and getting ready for the evening feed. After what seemed like hours, more like 20 minutes, they all start moving west towards me. Then they all began to trot and he was about number four in line. I think there were at least a dozen deer! I had him in my sights. Would he run right by me? No, he stopped at 40 yards and let some of the others run right by him. I had my gun rested on the downed tree and my scope on his brisket. BAM! He went straight down and he would not get up again. I got light headed as I replayed the event. It happened so quick but in slow motion. Even though I didn't get this buck with an arrow, it was special in so many ways. I wouldn't trade it for a massive Nasa Plumbrook booner!
DSCF4394.jpgDSCF4392.jpg

Attachments

• wu.jpg
    wu.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Yes, the write up is fabulous Mike. I am real glad to see your persistence pay off. Arrowing a buck is good, but getting the one you wanted is GREAT! Congrat's Again!~~Nice Buck!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well worth the wait to read this story! Just an exceptional write up Mike. I am real happy for you getting it done!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I'm very happy for you Mike, you learned a lot this year and you can't replace experiences like that one! Nice job.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Man, that is a great buck Mike and a great story! I think we have all had that moment where we pressed our luck a little too far, and ended up bumping deer we didn't want to. Way to be patient, it definitely paid off!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Thanks everyone! I took him to the taxidermist today. I chose a semi-sneak looking right, ears back.