Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wow, what a morning

matt hougan

Dayton area
Today was the only morning I could hunt myself. Took my youngest on the last day of youth day and and he smoked a huge doe. Today was my only window to hunt. I was a little concerned that the deer would be sleeping the morning with the bright moon in the pre-dawn. Thinking that perhaps there would be deer on the move early I entered the woods with my grunt tube in my mouth. I grunted as I crunched the first leaves. I took a few cautious steps and was interuppted by a herd critters crunching leaves just ahead of me. There was so much noise I figured this has to be coons. I heard the crunching as close as 30-40 yards from me. I froze, straining to catch the silohuette of a deer in the darkness.

Finally, I saw the white trim on the sides of the tail......deer. Lots of deer, all within 40 yards of me as I stood there easliy a half hour before legal shooting time. I stood there for about 15-20 minutes. Three of them must have seen me move. Tail up, they took off. Figuring that was the entire herd I took a step.......Holy cow, all heck broke loose. Tails went up every where around me. There must have been 10 deer there. I could hear them bounding and snorting to the river bottom. I rushed to get a spot, cleared the leaves from my spot and set out a chair over looking the ridge those deer fled to. 20 minutes later two does came down that ridge headed to the river bottom. I let them go, stinking scope was fogged up. Don't know how that happens.....lol

All the while the wind was in my face. Even though I was smoked up I figured I need not look behind me. Sure enough I heard a twig snap behind me. Two does had snuck in down wind of me within 50 yards. This time my scope was clear. Dead doe down wind....

Smoke up boys!

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrat's on the kill Matt. Glad you had such an exciting day in the woods. That's some of that "Good Karma" from the deer gods for taking the youngster out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good for you Matt! Glad you made it out and were able to taste some success today. Now you get to taste the backstraps TOO! Congrats.