Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hope from the Honey Hole

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Before we went to the farm last night, I stopped by my parents house to check my inventory cam in hopes that things have picked up back there. I went something like 19-20 straight hunts this season without getting skunked and once my buck was down, I haven't seen a damn thing! Even behind my parents which is always my best spot, it has been SLOW lately. Well after checking 1,600 pictures from a two week soak, there may be hope yet to get Tracie on a deer and possibly a good buck!!!

I am nearly certain this group of does is the same ones from the early season, which means the one I shot on opening day did survive. When I was talking to the neighbor yesterday, he said these does have been on the move during shooting light the past 3-4 days...

The pleasant surprise was seeing this new buck. It is hard to make out the detail in his rack in the daylight pics, but at least I know he will visit during shooting light!!!

He even brought buddies to the party...

His 8 point buddy is one that would make another great option for Tracie...

All in all, I can't wait to get her back there this weekend!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Awesome, Jesse! Funny how you knock one out and others show up to take his place. Good luck getting Tracie back out there!

epe

Lancaster
Nice! Gotta love the brow tines. He looks young too. On my phone it looks like he has the smallest body of them?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He does have a small body and could very well be a great 2 year old. I'd still let her shoot him, but I won't be upset if he lives!!!

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
There's a lot of good buck there. I think you'll be fine next year! That one looks like the one you said the Amish shot though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep, that was the one I was talkin about.... Is that on the same property as Jack? Those genetics look very similiar.

No. Probably 10 miles apart. This property produces two types of bucks. They are either wide, tall, clean 10's or they are tight, heavy, gnarly 9's. This is the first year I've seen as many 8 points as I have back there. It's just 11 acres, but it continues to produce. All 3 mounts on the wall and my euro came from here and my dad's 167" 10 also came from here. Proof positive it is not always about how much land you have, but where it is situated..

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Yep, but I would have to imagine on 11 acres you only have two spots you can probably even possibly hunt... My buddy has access to about 70 and it literally seems like there is only 4 spots they can even hunt, from wind direction, cover restrictions, deer movement, etc... Sounds like you got a, oh yea.... lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Actually, there are 4 good spots depending on what you want to kill. If it was flat, then it would certainly cut down on things. There are two separate oak flats, one great funnel and my best gun spot which sits at the intersection of 4 hollers. The oak flats make great doe killing spots and the funnel is where I've killed my last two bucks. The gun spot is where my platform and blind sits, it's also where I killed my 2008 bow buck. Huck has hunted back there and so has Wayne (rgecko23). For 11 acres, it really defies logic.

There is a 3 mile long drainage that is lined with ag, timber, and thick cover just to the west of us. Bucks get to traveling this during the rut and it dead ends in a little town N of us. When they get there, they cross a CRP field and run the thick holler that dumps in to all this as they head back S. There are two great thickets that hold does N and E of us, so it keeps the slick heads close. And the fact of the matter is it used to be even better. There has been some habitat loss due to development since we bought the place that has hindered deer movement. If I had the knowledge and ability I have now 10 years ago, I'd have killed some big deer back there early in my career.

Huckleberry Finn

Its ridiculous the amount of deer that pass through there. Its almost like one big safe zone back there.

Yea, it really is crazy. I know that the corn helped when I was there for muzzleloader, but it certainly is "the right 11 acres". And who wouldn't want to sit in that big ole blind!?

Good luck this weekend, Jesse and Tracie!