Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Better to be lucky then good...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Got a small doe today. Probably one of the most unusual shots I ever made. I was on the point of a hog's back, big creek off to my left, little crick to my right, grove hemlocks behind me. I was on a flat but VERY steep 30-50 foot drops on each side of me. 2 doe came running off the hill(kicked out by J) straight at me heading towards the hemlocks. When I pulled up I spooked the bigger doe, she did some acrobatics to change directions. I couldn't get on her so I went for the smaller one. Took a 25 yard shot just as she got to the hemlocks. Looked and looked and couldn't find blood or make out her tracks in the dry leaves. The shot looked good when the gun went off, I really couldn't believe I missed, it was kind of a chip shot. That was 10:30.

Just before dark we were on the other side of the crick and thinking about the earlier doe I'm look for sign as I'm in the same area. Then I look down the hill and see a dead deer. It was the doe I thought I missed earlier. I'd hit her real low just behind the sternum, when she crossed the crick her belly must have ruptured, there were guts on the bank. She made it about 30 feet up the very steep hill and pilled up. So when I found her she was bled out and half gutted, my shot destroyed zero meat.

She probably was only 80 yards from where I shot her, granted it was a rough 80, hell I've seen deer shot through the heart go farther. The bullet was no more then an inch-inch and a half in to her belly. I've never seen anything like it. I guess I'm just thankful that a lousy shot was good enough and that I happened to find her while she was still good.

Last edited:
Ohiosam,
Sounds like some sort of "trick shot" with no meat damage and it's already field dressed. :smiley_blink: Are you sure you didn't plan it that way?

Congratulations, on getting a good doe! So far, it's looking like tag soup for me. :smiley_depressive:

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hell of a story Sam!
Nicely played.
Only way it could have been better would have been if you got J to drag it out for ya!
Congrads!!:smiley_bril:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't imagine the disbelief you had as you found her and discovered the results. End result was still a recovered deer and another "You ain't gonna believe this. . . " story. Congrats Sam!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We moved a few deer on that drive and heard shooting right off the bat but unfortunately for us they were the next property over.... got to the guys posted and asked who had shot and they said no one but Sam found his deer..... no way? That's cool.... so he hit his mark somewhat low but no blood or anything indicating a hit..... weird stuff.... but it was a day like that.... gotta another no shit story for later wahrn I have some coffee in me.....

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
We moved a few deer on that drive and heard shooting right off the bat but unfortunately for us they were the next property over.... got to the guys posted and asked who had shot and they said no one but Sam found his deer..... no way? That's cool.... so he hit his mark somewhat low but no blood or anything indicating a hit..... weird stuff.... but it was a day like that.... gotta another no shit story for later wahrn I have some coffee in me.....

Sam's was good...Congrats on finding her TOO! Can't wait to hear another one!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Ohiosam,
Sounds like some sort of "trick shot" with no meat damage and it's already field dressed. :smiley_blink: Are you sure you didn't plan it that way?

HAHAHA, Yes, I planned it that way, took 30+ years of hunting to perfect it. Might check into seeing if I can patent the idea. It's how I intend to shoot the rest of my deer.