Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not the way it was supposed to end!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Well, I was driving home from work today and I saw a local law enforcement vehicle parked behind the barn where I bowhunt. I drove back to ask him what was going on. I arrived and said, Hey how are you officer? He replied that he was doin ok, so I told him he was in my deer hunting area, and ask him what was going on. This is private property and not in the city so I was really wondering what he was doing back there in a cruiser. Anyway, he said, why did you shoot a deer today? I told him no, I only bowhunt in this area. He says, well someone did, and the deer made it across the street and was in a yard in the housing development and they called the police and the police officer put the deer down. I said really, and he proceeded to show me a picture of the deer on his phone. UGGGGGH.......it was the 12 point probable booner I had seen a couple of times and have a grainy video of him on trail cam. I was bummed to say the least. He then told me that there were a couple of guys in orange tracking across the field so he figured one of them had shot the buck. I asked if he told them where it was and he said, no.....the homeowner who called us wanted to keep the buck. I wanted to question him a little further but he abrubtly said he had a call and had to run.

So someone on the neighboring farm shot this buck but some guy who lives in the housing development gets to keep it because it happened to die on his property. The entire story seems a little fishy to me because it still didn't explain why he was 300 yards off the road in his cruiser and hidden behind the barn and was no where near where the deer was found. But one thing for sure, that 12 point brute is off the wish list. I have been attempting to contact the neighboring farmer to see if he knows who shot the buck and also to let them know what the officer "said " happened to it. What a bummer, both for me and for the hunter who actually ended up shooting this
buck. It will apparently be the trophy for someone who didn't even hunt the deer.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=4ZAdFQqUryw

Last edited:
I don't understand anyone going to the trouble/expense to have such an animal mounted, but didn't kill it. What could they possibly gain from the experience? When company comes over do they say, "Yep, found that one on the front lawn one afternoon." Nuts! :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
something_smells_fishy_t_shirt-r661fd032018840fbaf976fe6164ca93d_f0c6i_216.jpg

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Yea, the whole deal sucks. I just talked to the neighboring farmer and he said he also heard about the buck and that the police let the homeowner keep it. He told me it wasn't anyone he knew who shot the deer. I wish I knew which house it ran to so I could talk with them and at least get some pics of the buck because my video does NOT do the deer justice. I just can't see a homeowner in a 600 to 700 thousand dollar house wanting to keep this deer. I guess it's possible but seems unlikely. It is a golfcourse community and there is a crop field that borders it which leads to a city park. Apparently that must be were the bucks safe spot was.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Sorry TOO ! That's a fishy deal to me as well. Unfortunately it happens every year, it seems. I can only hope that the buck in question bred some does and left his mark for years to come!

holterross

Not trying to defend the LEO and his actions but I am also an LEO and deal with these kinds of situations more and more it seems. Unless you are a hunter you’re not going to know the laws or the right way to approach a situation like the one flatlander is describing. The problem is that the response time of a DNR Officer can be an hour or more depending on the season which is putting LEO's who have no training in wildlife laws to deal with matters. With that being said it does not answer the question as to why the deer was given to someone when it was shot. We mostly deal with animals being hit on the road and whoever hits it has the option to take it or if they don’t want it can be given to whoever wants it as long as they get a kill slip to keep with the deer. Either way it’s a shame have deer of that of that caliber given to someone who does not deserve it. I hope that there is nothing more to the story as far as the LEO goes, it only takes one to give the rest of us a bad name.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
12 point from video.jpg
This pic was sent to me and I was told it was shot out of my hunting spot. I am still trying to get more details, but this is for sure the same buck. This photo is NOT from one of the houses where the officer said the deer was found. I was told the home owner kept the meat but let the hunter keep the rack. Then I was told the hunter shot it on property he did not have permission to hunt and received a citation. If this is true, I'm trying to figure out how he has the rack, also funny that the face is not in the picture. Still investigating but this is where it stands right now.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's a good question Flatlander! If he broke a law, how does he still have it? Btw, that is a friggin monster! Why is he holding it out! Hope you get to the bottom of it. Keep us posted...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Got to looking at that buck again. He's not perfect from side to side but he's got enough length and mass TOO reach 180's gross IMO. Those beams look pretty long, maybe 28" plus.

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Got to looking at that buck again. He's not perfect from side to side but he's got enough length and mass TOO reach 180's gross IMO. Those beams look pretty long, maybe 28" plus.

We was way off on that last one. This one here looks even bigger imo. I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions just yet though...

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I don't think I was very far off from my original guess when I saw him I was thinking he was around 170. Symetry is a little off but being a main frame 6x6 and having good beams and decent mass make up for alot. I've studied that video close, do you guys agree it's def the same buck?