Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Handgun question

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I might have an opportunity to pick one up on the cheap....Just wondered if anyone here could share any knowledge about a Hi-Point C9.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated I am still trying to find out more about myself.

Thanks all.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't own any handguns... don't really know much about handguns... But I do know that I've never heard a single good thing about Hi-Point handguns.

Ghunter

I have owned hi-point and never had a problem. But remember you can get that one new for $140.

I have seen some HPs run flawless and others needs some"adjustments".........If the price was very close to 100$ I would do it,if nothing else you will have gun to have fun with.They are bulk,heavy and have a HORRIBLE trigger but they carry a warranty even if your the 10th owner etc...Now if it was a High point rifle,I would jump on it no questions asked(man them things are fun an reliable).I see a 9mm High point Carbine in my future sooner or later..

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hi Point is junk for the most part. You may get one that runs but most don't. The carbines do much better. Shooting a Hi Point feels like holding a cordless drill, the trigger akin to pulling a piano up a staircase covered in pea gravel and on the shot the slide fells as if it is covered in sand until it self laps the metal ;)

It would have to be extremely cheap and known to be operative before I would recommend purchasing one.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
You get wht you pay for. A cheap price for a hand gun is generally for a cheap hand gun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It may be OK to plink with but I would never-ever use it for a carry gun.

Those were my thoughts. I would have to disagree with OMO on the price point though. They are "cheap" when new. A "cheap" used one would be $50-75 in my opinion. Even then i might pass. . . .but I do not need one. I have a couple 9mm pistols to choose from already.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I have been wanting to get a decent handgun recently though....hadn't started researching anything at all...guy at work said he was selling his HP (totally out of the blue)....thought I would ask a few questions...I think I should save my pennies for a better recommended handgun.

After all, if I get a handgun it will be my first...and I want it to be a nice one!

..Hicks mentioned 50-75$max!...I would give the guy 50$ for a totally no functioning one,and then send it in to the factory...I am not saying you should,but I personally would.I have not seen a used C9 for much under 100$ for a few years..You can check the new priced an armslist.com to get a idea on that aspect.I cant say I would or wouldn't recommend it for a first handgun though......A former coworker I shoot with has a C9,a 45 and a 9mm Carbine rifle....The rifles an 45 has been flawless even with tula FMJ an win white box FMJ..The c9 had a issue with the magazine feeding properly..He had to adjust the lips on the top of the mag,and the gun has ran great since..............

Here is a pretty comprehensive(and lengthy) review of the C9,by a guy who has experience with MANY firearms and handguns...Not all good or bad on this one

[video=youtube;tkq7WdB-0LA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkq7WdB-0LA&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Aimsurplus has turn in Glock 9mm's for $320

Not a Glock fan but they work, everytime. Save the cash and headaches.

Aimsurplus has turn in Glock 9mm's for $320

Not a Glock fan but they work, everytime. Save the cash and headaches.

Pretty good price..I like glocks except for the damm 2x4 in my hand feeling....I shot a S&W SD40 and liked it and they seem priced at around 280$ new locally(300$ for the 09,which aint bad IMO..The trigger could use some work,but it might smooth out after shooting... I think Apex has a trigger kit out for 20$ as well....

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
THanks for the info video OMO, The guy I work with is buying this gun from his brother, said it comes with case, ammo and extra clips? He just ran this past me one day and acted like I was in the market for a 9mm...which I wasn't....so that made me curious as to why he wanted to sell me this gun when he had to buy it from his brother in the first....I think he is trying to middle man me, eventhough I'm not in the market for a handgun....

Thanks for all the input everyone, a lot of respected opinions in my mind...I will continue to save my pennies until I'm ready to get into a handgun though...We'll see how it goes.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have been wanting to get a decent handgun recently though....hadn't started researching anything at all...guy at work said he was selling his HP (totally out of the blue)....thought I would ask a few questions...I think I should save my pennies for a better recommended handgun.

After all, if I get a handgun it will be my first...and I want it to be a nice one![/QUOTE]

Nice is fine and dandy but if you going to buy a first and/or use it for the protection of yourself or loved ones, spend a little more and go for one of the Proven Reliable name guns. Someones life may depend on it one day and a personal protection carry gun is not something to skimp on.

Hope you enjoy the new world of hand gun shooting!