Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well, so much for that...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The last two times I have pulled the card from my primary inventory camera at the farm, I have been greeted with pics of a dandy 3.5 year old 8 point that had potential written all over him. I knew he was a roamer and that kind of deer that no one else in the neighborhood would pass, so I hoped he would take a liking to the farm and either Tracie could kill him, or we could get him to 4.5...

The last pull on Sunday produced even more pictures of him and he was now moving late a night, which made me feel a little better. But I still had this sneaking suspicion this was a deer that would not make it through gun season. I was right. I got this picture from the neighbor yesterday saying their girl who is 19 I believe, shot him around midday. As much as it sucks to lose a good up and comer, I was happy for her as she loves to hunt and this is a damn fine buck for her. Another good reminder who hard it is to grow and protect big bucks on 80 acres...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations to the girl! It just shows you how they move about though, Jesse. You just started getting pics of him, right? Well, hopefully another will move in before long to make your card pulls interesting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just noticed the wound on the neck. Wonder if it was that or they used a knife to finish it. Not good thinking if you wanted to mount it!!!

I did just start getting pics of him on the 15th and he was the first possible shooter on the farm other than Jack all year long. I'm not sure if this points to the lack of shooters, or to Jack's dominance. It seems there are always at least 2 good bucks using parts of the farm, but not this year for whatever reason. Even through the rut, this 8 was the only other deer to show up that would have even peaked my interest. At least that I know of...

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
0 chance to protect a deer on 80 acres, just the way it goes...

I wish I could see the taxidermists reaction... I talk with mine a lot. He said you wouldn't believe the things people do to deer and then expect him to work some kind of miracle on.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When it rains, it pours. The Amish who are timbering 4 properties over from my parents killed the buck I passed up in late October. He sure had potential...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354129607.939807.jpg

Kaiser878

ohio
It sucks man... But its how it goes! Like I said in my other post, by now we should be used to it...but it still urks you a little!

Gordo

Athens County
I havent heard of any of my trail cam bucks hitting the dirt yet, but im sure it happened.

A property ive been stackin deer in since june got hammered though. It was a blood bath. 4 does all met their demise from my stand. There where 7 does using this 30 acres on a very regular basis.

I was hoping to do some late season doe hunting with my recurve there, not anymore...

I doubt i'll put the time and resources into that property like i did this whole year.

I pretty much created a deer sanctuary, and then friend of the land owner came in and went trigger happy.

He cant wait to do it again next year...

Oh well, what can ya do?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It is an unfortunate part of the process man. It used to destroy me, but I've learned to live with it now. Still sucks though and I wish I could convince my trigger happy neighbors to let them grow, but then you have to educate them. Not many people eat, sleep, and breathe deer like most of us here do and that is also part of the problem. Both of these deer are great deer for the vast majority of the people taking to the woods this week and in reality, they are deer I would have been tickled to death to have killed 5-6 years ago. The other reality is that my expectations are really TOO high for the areas I hunt and it will leave me eating plenty of tags over the course of my career. Just another part of the game!

Gordo

Athens County
It does irk me when people 'dont get it'. I consider most of us to be conservationist, and good ones at that.

Oh man, now im getting worked up. lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gordo, we just have to remember we are CONSERVATIONIST, not PRESERVATIONIST. At times I think we are all guilty of wanting to preserve them for our own use and enjoyment. It just isn't in the cards.

Gordo

Athens County
I hear ya brock.

I just want to see the deer herd thrive and be sustainable for generations to come.

I try to do my part to make sure thats going to happen.