Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Meat. Just add potatoes.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Went out for opening day of gun for the first time in a number of years. Decided to take the muzzleloader in case I needed the extra reach on a deer cruising through the open woods or field. Probably should have just stuck with my bow. A little after 9:30 I could hear a leaves turning over as a group of deer were headed my way. Before I knew it I had 6 does filtering past me at 10 yards. I wanted to test my marksmanship so I let them slip out to about 18 yards before raising the gun. The group stopped, I looked over to find the biggest one, put the crosshairs on her, and made a big boom.

After the smoke cleared i got down and found some of this...

Then I rounded a corner of the thicket and saw this...

After saying my thanks for the morning I took a few of these...

I'm grateful to put a nice big doe in the freezer after so many close, and frustrating calls during the first part of the bow season. Now I can just relax, chase some birds around, and maybe still fill my buck tag later in the season. Oh, and the kids are already asking for jerky.

blemas

Summit County
Nice job! Hope there are some left for me on Saturday. My dad went out today and said it was a war zone, more shooting than he has ever heard during gun season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is great! I am happy for you Sean. Feels good to fill the freezer with a big old doe. Well done.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks All!

Nice job Sean! What's the muzzy?

It's a Thompson Center .50 Cal Fire Hawk. Can't remember how old it is, but its at least 8 years old since it was bought before my son was born. Great shooting gun. Can't wait to break it out again.