Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do you shoot coyotes during the Deer Gun Season?

I would like to shoot every coyote that I see, but when I'm deer hunting during the Deer Gun Season, I'm hesitant. I'm hesitant because I don't want to spook/educate the deer in the area to my presence.

What are your thoughts and experiences on shooting coyotes during the Gun Season?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
!cid_983 Dec 3 coyote with 870.jpg!cid_620 Dec 3 coyote carnage.jpg

Never. :smiley_crocodile:

Huckleberry Finn

Yup, will take a chance shot at a coyote because that could mean bumping him over to the neighbor's and maybe he'll get a shot...

And I've taken my one and only coyote during gun season too.

I take it that you guys don't feel like taking a shot at a coyote would ruin the chances of a deer coming through later?

I'm with you guys on the idea of kill a coyote now and a deer lives later. I was thinking that it might ruin a chance at getting a shot at a deer with the firearm noise in the woods. :smiley_confused_vra Perhaps not.

Thanks for the input and pics. :smiley_bril:
Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

I take it that you guys don't feel like taking a shot at a coyote would ruin the chances of a deer coming through later?

I'm with you guys on the idea of kill a coyote now and a deer lives later. I was thinking that it might ruin a chance at getting a shot at a deer with the firearm noise in the woods. :smiley_confused_vra Perhaps not.

Thanks for the input and pics. :smiley_bril:
Bowhunter57

Neighbor shot a coyote 100 yards and 30 minutes before I shot my buck this morning. The world is a better place because of it!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't think the coyotes laying dead are going to screw up the deer anymore than all the shots from surrounding properties at deer/coyotes/God knows what. My buddy heard plenty of shots today. It seems like the deer sort of know there is something going on right now. I can't believe how many trucks I saw parked all over the place today. I am thinking this is more detrimental to our deer hunting than a shot at a coyote.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I think with all the shooting that goes on during gun season it really doesn't matter. The deer are hearing shots, and getting shot at for 7 straight days. A shot or two taken at a tote won't hunt your chances at a deer.

I also think that deer sometimes have a tough time figuring out what the shot was, or where it came from. I've shot deer traveling in groups, only to have the group scatter for a second, then either regroup and carry on or all just disburse and go their separate ways. I've also had them circle back to the source of the shot!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Depends.

Here is a situation from yesterday. Guys line up on the other end of a thicket for a drive. The driver nears the woods and as soon as he steps in the thicket a yote busts out the back. One of the sitters takes a shot at the yote. The 5 deer in the thicket hear the shot on the far end and bust the side and proceed to double back around the pusher and across the road behind him.

You take a chance, I probably would have done the same in that situation, but it likely cost us an opportunity at a decent buck and 4 doe. If I know there is a nice buck in there, I wouldn't take the shot. Would see what thicket the yote went in and probably setup to drive him back out after the first push is done.

Sitting in a tree or on the ground in the morning, I would probably shoot a yote no questions asked if I wasn't seeing deer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All bets are off during gun season when it comes to the deer. The only bet that is a sure one is that if I have a chance to sling lead at a yote, it will happen! Shoot them bastards any chance you get and don't worry about the deer because they sure as hell don't!!!