Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cold Weather Clothing

blemas

Summit County
As the late season approaches and the temperature drops I am curious as to what ya'll wear for the late season archery hunts? I dropped 54lbs and my old stuff doesn't fit, truth be told, it wasn't that warm to begin with. I was looking at Cabelas Fleece Dry Revolution Bibs (on sale for $119) but I am worried about using a heavy jacket with my bow.

So, what are you wearing out in the woods this January?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lots of ways to go here. I'm an Under Armour guy myself. I also have the of the Whitewater Outdoors reversible fleece bibs and parka. When it gets real cold, I wear my waterfowl gear which is from Cabelas and Drake. If I had the money, I'd buy some Grey Wolf Woolens. Ask Milo about those!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I personally wear gray wolf woolens bibs and on windy cold days i wear my predator bibs and fleece jacket mainly because they are windproof. The predator bibs are super warm but i prefer the breathablity and blanket warmth of wool.and congrats in the weight loss.

blemas

Summit County
Lots of ways to go here. I'm an Under Armour guy myself. I also have the of the Whitewater Outdoors reversible fleece bibs and parka. When it gets real cold, I wear my waterfowl gear which is from Cabelas and Drake. If I had the money, I'd buy some Grey Wolf Woolens. Ask Milo about those!

Holy Smokes! Those Grey Wolf Woolens are pricy! What makes your waterfowl gear your go-to for really cold temps? I do layer with under armor and some micro fleece layers but I was out in that wind on Friday and it kicked my ass!

blemas

Summit County
I personally wear gray wolf woolens bibs and on windy cold days i wear my predator bibs and fleece jacket mainly because they are windproof. The predator bibs are super warm but i prefer the breathablity and blanket warmth of wool.and congrats in the weight loss.

Milo, it is amazing what can be accomplished by changing your diet around. I really didn't spend much time in the gym, once a week with some bodyweight / kettlebell work at home 2 or 3 times a week. I would love to fork out the cash for those grey wolf woolens but I had to buy a whole new wardrobe for work! I think that wind stoppage is going to be the biggest battle, I never realized how much my fat kept me warm.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Milo, it is amazing what can be accomplished by changing your diet around. I really didn't spend much time in the gym, once a week with some bodyweight / kettlebell work at home 2 or 3 times a week. I would love to fork out the cash for those grey wolf woolens but I had to buy a whole new wardrobe for work! I never realized how much my fat kept me warm.

I think that wind stoppage is going to be the biggest battle. I may just keep my current jacket and pick up some nice bibs.
gray wolf is made for the rest of your life..its also tailor made to fit YOU and not some industry standard. i have had my bibs 9 years now and they look like the day i bought them. i have had some cabelas stuff and its okay for me but not where i want to be because i find it loud and when deer are on the edge in late season i need every advantage i can get.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Don't mean to hijack, but while on the cold topic..how do you guys keep your feet warm. No matter what my feet get cold every time I sit in my stand. Like this morning I even wore one pair of light socks on the walk to my stand, then changed my socks when I got to my ladder and put feet warmers in my socks..within one hour my feet were cold.

Diablo54

Outside
Don't mean to hijack, but while on the cold topic..how do you guys keep your feet warm. No matter what my feet get cold every time I sit in my stand. Like this morning I even wore one pair of light socks on the walk to my stand, then changed my socks when I got to my ladder and put feet warmers in my socks..within one hour my feet were cold.

I have the same issue. I do the same as you and change socks. Then I also have a pair of boot covers that go over my boots. They don't keep me toasty but warm enough to where they don't hurt and make you wanna get down.

blemas

Summit County
gray wolf is made for the rest of your life..its also tailor made to fit YOU and not some industry standard. i have had my bibs 9 years now and they look like the day i bought them. i have had some cabelas stuff and its okay for me but not where i want to be because i find it loud and when deer are on the edge in late season i need every advantage i can get.

I am usually onboard with that line of thought, buy once cry once, right? With Christmas coming up, I don't think that wife would appreciate me throwing down three bills for some bibs!

Overall, would you recommend wool? I've never had wool outerwear before so I am not sure about it. What are your thoughts on these compared to the bibs from my original post?

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a set of the Cabelas Dry Revolution pants and Jacket. With layers under it, I am happy "most" of the time. Feet, hands and face can still be an issue. You do need to be careful with your sleeve as the jacket is a bit bulky when using a long bow. I have some Cabelas windproof fleece pants which does pretty well also. There again, I am layering it underneath once it really gets cold. Just hate pulling all the burrs off it.

When it is REALLY cold, I pull out my Warm Bag. I bought it at the Deer and Turkey Expo 2 years ago for around $100. It is pretty good for the ability to slide out of it to shoot, but I think it is a tad on the noisy side in regards to fabric. Not noticeable when trying it on in the house or at the expo, but once out in the field it is noticeable. Not sure if The Heater Bodysuit is better in the field or not, but I am thinking 3x the price. Just some thoughts.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I am usually onboard with that line of thought, buy once cry once, right? With Christmas coming up, I don't think that wife would appreciate me throwing down three bills for some bibs!

Overall, would you recommend wool? I've never had wool outerwear before so I am not sure about it. What are your thoughts on these compared to the bibs from my original post?
Im a huge fan of wool. I had more wool stuff but for the price i could get fir it used i sold some of it. It was a camp shirt and vest. I do wish i had wool with a wind barrier. That will be next but on a 20 degree morning and minimal wind it is perfect and its quiet when you move. Now the dri plus wind/rain barrier stuff i do not like. Its louder and just not right to me. You will find that cabelas likes to use recycled wool and not virgin wool. There is a distinct difference in them. Wool dries very fast . My layers this year have mostly been in this order...copperhead base, merino medium wool second layer and then my heavier clothing. I like to be able to cool quickly so i go from heavy to light quickly. I suggest if you can checkout the bibs before you buy them to be sure they are what your expecting.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
For boots and cold feet i use mickey mouse boots.. also natchez shooter supply has the boot blankets that go over your boots on sale for 30 bucks.

Huckleberry Finn

As the late season approaches and the temperature drops I am curious as to what ya'll wear for the late season archery hunts? I dropped 54lbs and my old stuff doesn't fit, truth be told, it wasn't that warm to begin with. I was looking at Cabelas Fleece Dry Revolution Bibs (on sale for $119) but I am worried about using a heavy jacket with my bow.

So, what are you wearing out in the woods this January?

I invested in a set of Predator bibs through Milo last year and it was a solid purchase (PM him and get a quote - or listen to his advice on wool). The Predator stuff is really warm and seems durable. It's nice knowing that no matter what the weather is like, I'll always be warm. Milo let me borrow his spare coat 2 years ago and I found out how well it blocks the wind. It's very quiet and I feel that the jacket is cut right for drawing back a bow. With the bibs and a good layer (I do under armour), flannel, and a sweatshirt, you can go a long ways without the coat though. Often with the Predator I find myself wearing too much clothing to be honest...very easy to sweat in it. It's great stuff...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
My coldest hunts in January/February see temps in the single digits. I am also just a few miles off Lake Erie in the snowbelt so windchill and snow can be rough. For these hunts I wear Under Armour Cold Gear, Merino Wool mid-weight layer, Filson Mackinaw Wool and Scent Lok Timberfleece 360.

Wool isn't cheap, but it is the way to go for warmth.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Go to the goodwill and buy you a couple thick wool sweaters for 5 bucks each. And some thick fleece pajama sweatpants. Or shop for holiday deals. Deer don't seem to mind that your under layers aren't camo. Buy a cheap long sleeve camo shirt to go over it if you get to hot and have to take your jacket off. You can also get a military filed jacket liner. Warmest damn thing I have ever seen. So much so that when i got out of the army I didn't return mine to supply and just paid for it. Wearing it right now matter of fact.