Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote hunting

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I recently purchased and AR15 and will be finishing the sight in this weekend. I have never done any coyote hunting but come january if anyone wants company please let me know. I also have a .243 bolt action if I need to get out and touch them.

Regarding coyotes and the 5.56/.223 round any particular bullet weight better than others? I already have bought some 50 grain v-max's for groundhogs come spring.

I picked up the coyote decoy thing MidwayUSA had on sale a day or two ago. Evidently it plugs into one of the speaker callers and moves around. One of those callers is on my wish list for next year but I figured getting this at a good price would be a start.

Are we allowed to shoot coyotes over bait here in Ohio? I'm thinking about saving some hides/bones/scraps from deer season in a freezer and putting it out in a field a night or two before I go out to pull them in. Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Bullet weight accuracy will depend on twist rate. You may need to experiment. Im shooting 50 grain varmit gernade bullets in mine.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Bullet weight accuracy will depend on twist rate. You may need to experiment. Im shooting 50 grain varmit gernade bullets in mine.

1:7 twist and others with this barrel state good accuracy with that bullet or else it becomes target loads until i reload some others.

Hedgelj,
A quicker rate of twist will stabilize a heavier bullet. A slower rate of twist is good for lighter bullet weights. This "rule" is for any caliber.
Simularly, a faster burning powder is best used for lighter weight bullets and a slower burning powder for heavier bullets.

I recommend a 55gr. or heavier bullet in .223 caliber rifles, for coyotes.

I had a Rock River Arms A4 Varmint, but was using box ammo for it. It was producing 1/2" groups at 100 yards with 45gr. JHPs, which was great for groundhogs. However, it proved to be horrible for coyotes. I had far too many losses...a 50% recovery rate. I should've reloaded a heavier bullet for it.

I'm now using a Stevens .25-06, which carves a canoe out of everything. :smiley_blink: There are NO losses on my dance card. It's shoots an 87gr. Ballistic Tip at 3300 f.p.s.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Are we allowed to shoot coyotes over bait here in Ohio? I'm thinking about saving some hides/bones/scraps from deer season in a freezer and putting it out in a field a night or two before I go out to pull them in. Thoughts?

Suggestions?

I once read about driving 2 T-posts in the ground and wiring a "cage" around them. Fill cage with bait and coyotes won't drag it off as they normally do. Said they would frequent the spot often. Sounds like it would put the yotes where you want them. Haven't got to try it on my own as of yet.