Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any ground bowhunters here?

I've had a few injuries, as of late and it's put me on the ground and out of the trees for bowhunting. I may be healed up by mid-December, but until then it's ground hunting or stay home. I've killed a couple of deer on the ground, but prefer treestands.

Most of my ground hunting has been done from a blown down tree. I don't have a ground blind, but have considered getting one...a big one...one that a person could stand up inside.

Anyway...
Anyone here hunt from the ground?
Any suggestings...other than don't move much and scent control?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

epe

Lancaster
I have taken at least 4 bucks from the ground, and a doe. All from a ground blind. Most will tell you to brush em in, and wait a couple weeks, but I have killed em from blinds I just put out hours before.. I am anal about scent control. I also wear all black in the blind, with a dark face mask. I try to only open windows I will shoot out of, make my backdrop dark.....

arjay

S.E. Ohio
I hunt from the ground with my bow a lot. I always set up with a good brush backdrop behind me and pick out some good shooting lanes and get comfortable. When you on the ground you have to keep movement to a minimal and wear good camo, the biggest distance ive found from hunting ground rather that a tree is thing happen quick from the ground be ready at all times! From a tree you can usually see them coming but on the ground you hear them and there on top of you before you know it and there might only be a few seconds of opportunity to make the kill, but its way more of a rush to take a deer at there level and much more rewarding. Enjoy it and don't get discouraged any way of hunting is better than work!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I agree with Arjay. When you are on the ground, you do not get much notice before the deer just suddenly appear, so you need to be ready at all times.

I use a ghillie suit when I am not in a blind. My best set up for ghillies seems to be with my back against a large tree. It seems to break up my outline better, although I have been known to sit up against brush. The brush scenario makes my back ache though!

As for blinds, we use the shoot through mesh.

I did tree stands my first couple of years of hunting, but now only hunt from the ground and all deer I've taken have been from ground level.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yes , Ric and I have shot some deer from the ground over the years. We always used a large oak or beech tree for cover. Always down wind of a travel corridor, bedding area, pinch point or food source. Ground blinds weren't as popular back in the 80's, I dont even think they existed! Lol. Always remove the crunchy leaves from around your tree. Have a screw in step handy, for hanging your Nocked and loaded bow...Humting from the ground can be very productive and enjoyable. Now that we smoke up our clothes, I feel as though that it can be easier too stay scent controlled. I am really interested in those Hay Bale ground Blinds. They are large and roomy, and used in the right location, I believe you can seal some deals.lol. Good luck TOO you.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Ghillie suit for me too. Can't beat the up close encounters. I only hunt from the ground in areas where I don't have trees to sit in.

arjay

S.E. Ohio
I hunt from the ground with my bow a lot. I always set up with a good brush backdrop behind me and pick out some good shooting lanes and get comfortable. When you on the ground you have to keep movement to a minimal and wear good camo, the biggest distance ive found from hunting ground rather that a tree is thing happen quick from the ground be ready at all times! From a tree you can usually see them coming but on the ground you hear them and there on top of you before you know it and there might only be a few seconds of opportunity to make the kill, but its way more of a rush to take a deer at there level and much more rewarding. Enjoy it and don't get discouraged any way of hunting is better than work!

I often hunt from the ground, esp in new areas or if the wind isn't right for a stand location. I really do not care for pop-up ground blinds and prefer to get up against a big tree, blow-down or behind some good brush. When I bring one of the kids along the pop-ups are nice but if you don't leave them out for a while or have a good way of concealing them then they seem to get spotted easily and deer put their guards up.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've been using my climber, my pop up blind & new for me this year is the Ghostblind. Maybe I'm just getting tired of having to suit up with my safety vest & lugging my climber around, but I've been enjoying being back on the ground as well. My popup has been in place for two years now & all sorts walk right by it. Deer won't even look at it anymore when I'm inside. When I use the Ghostblind ( & i'm not trying to pimp it ) it's just amazing how you disappear in plain sight for the most part. Once again, deer won't notice you & I have 'em walk by at 10 yards, so it's an exciting way to hunt. Anyway, at least there's options & as we all know, things can happen quickly.