Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thanksgiving Rabbit hunt

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well woke up @ 5 (my normal time) downed some coffee rechecked all my gear (didn't have too smoke up :smiley_coolpeace:) and waited until the kids showed up @ 7:00 @ 7:45 they rolled up too the house after texting them where the heck are you..... rotflmao Did you know thanksgiving eve is a bring drink fest with the youngins???? Who knew lol.... They weren’t too bad but 2 of them didn't make it..... We picked up the dogs and headed too our spot over in Mahoning cty (Sam and CJ know the spot) we stopped talked too the land owner and played Frisbee with his lab while talking about hunting and how his years been going.... That lab was kicking but on catches out of mid air jumping like a fool :smiley_coolpeace:

Went a little different route hunting this place, we usually work it front too back and today we switched it up a little and went too the back and worked forward.... Worked the strip cut and had two runs but the dogs lost them I saw the second one 3 times but too far for the .410 and he was in 5th gear when I saw him.... Went too the front part of the lake and jumped one and they were working it when I hear a shot and one of the guys said I got a yote.... I'm thinking a yote so close too where the dogs were running WTH???? Got up too him and we went over and there's the yote head shot.... Oh and he was in a snare.... He was about 30 yards from him and he looked around and sees a yote stand up and look at him he pulled up and shot.... I would of done the same.... Well the dogs are still running the rabbit and our other hunter comes over and said there's another one, sure as **** there was another one laying in the tall grass in another snare still alive.... Well don't shoot this one and get on the phone too your grandfather and find out who's trapping here.... The land owner never mentioned anyone running any trap lines too me.... We his granddad knows thee guys who trapping.... He called him, showed up about a half hour later and I walked out and met him and his buddy explained what happened and apologized for the mistake and told him he actually had two and one was still alive down there... He said no problem and was really cool about it so we shook hands and went about our business, 10 minutes later I hear a pop from back where they were and a little while later they drive out and beep and wave as they left....

Finished up the hunt a little while later and ended up with 6 runs with one falling too the gun, and one yote..... :smiley_clap: As we were leaving I stopped back up too the land owners house and talked too his wife who was just happy they got some yotes... (She don't like yotes) they've gotten three so far this season..... Talked too her for a couple of minutes and her husband came back in from the south 40 and went and explained the whole thing too him, and he said I would have done the same thing.... And he appreciated bringing it too his attention and said the two guys trapping are good guys and if they came too him which he doubted that it wouldn't be an issue..... He wished us a Happy Thanksgiving and we left.... Not the day I expected but things worked out in the long run.....

It was a good frosted morning and if we wouldn't have gotten a late start I think we would of scored more bunnies, but by 9:00 frost was gone and what was left dried up pretty quick and it warmed up pretty quick also.... Oh and on the way there just about clipped a tom turkey with my windshield.... The guy in the front seat actually ducked down..... :smiley_clap:

Well hope y'all had a good day either out or indoors, now it's time too start snacking on some pie before dinner's ready.... That always goes over good rotflmao

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That was a nice story J. I can see it all unfold.
Thanks for the post...

BTW-you got to start carrying a camera.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That would be crazy coming up on them yotes!

My biggest worry was the dogs getting too close too it..... But yeah it was cool too be that close too one and watch it try and hide from us.... Ears back and them eyes are just friggin evil.......