Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best sabots for Mossberg 9200?

RedBud

Dayton
I have a Mossberg 9200 and have been shooting KO Sabot slugs. They work great but I can no longer buy them. It seems that they no longer make KO sabot slugs and I'm trying to find something else. I learned the hard way that the Mossberg gun does not shoot just any sabot type slug. Can someone tell me what type of slug to use. Will Federal Sabot slugs shoot without tumbling?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Welcome too the site, as far as the slugs too shoot out of the 9200 I've got no idea, but with that being said you'd have too pick up a box of ea and give them a try... Can be expensive (I know all too well) but that's the fun of shooting sabots.... :smiley_coolpeace:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It's basically a crap shoot as too what the gun will like... My old slug gun (Marlin slugmaster 12 ga) copper solids... My new slug gun (Savage 220) Acutips... My sons slug gun (870 20 ga) Light fields... Other than that if you could hit the differant websites that specialize in guns and ammo try too find someone who has some for sale????

A quick look on amazon showed some for sale, here's the link with what I think you're looking for... Also if you buy them from amazon use this websites link and we get credit for the sale as well... Happy hunting.... :smiley_coolpeace:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=KO sabot slugs

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I been thinking about going to Sams and getting a pair of dark sunglasses, a tin cup, and a gross of pencils and hitting a streetcorner to raise some cash so I could buy some more Remington Copper Solids :smiley_bagonhead:

But dang they sure do make big holes in deerz :smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I been thinking about going to Sams and getting a pair of dark sunglasses, a tin cup, and a gross of pencils and hitting a streetcorner to raise some cash so I could buy some more Remington Copper Solids :smiley_bagonhead:

But dang they sure do make big holes in deerz :smiley_clap:

Take pictures of it Dan..... rotflmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Are you talking about the Brenneke KO slugs? http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko.html

If so, I'm pretty sure they still make them, and they are readily available. Those are the only "KO" slugs that I've ever heard of. Other than that, the other guys are spot-on... Each gun is a little different, so you have to just get to a range and try out different types of slugs to see what works the best.

RedBud

Dayton
Thanks. I can still find plain KO slugs but not KO sabot slugs. I plan to try the plain KO slugs and some Federal Sabot slugs that I bought at Miejers. If they don't work I'll try the Remington Copper Solids that you guys seem to like. I'll also look at the two threads you identified.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Always heardfyou don't want too shoot regular slugs out of a rifled barrel can't remember why right off the top of my head but I believe its for a good reason....

RedBud

Dayton
I went to the KO website and it looks like they still sell KO Sabots. I guess I'm not going to the right stores. I normally shop at Gander Mountain and Walmart.

Last edited:

RedBud

Dayton
I went hunting on land next to Wayne National Forest during the gun hunt. I did great! I got two small does during the first day. I was meat hunting since I already got a 6 point buck during early muzzleloader season. I saw a 10 point buck while tracking the second deer but had to pass it up since Ohio only allows one racked deer per year. I tested the KO plain slugs and federal sabot slugs. Both shoot without tumbling. See the attached photo. The hole to the far right was a Muzzleloader. The two holes just to the left of the muzzleloader shot was the the 9200 with federal sabot slugs. The two holes to the far left were the KO plain slugs. As you can see, the federal sabots did the best but made a small hole, i.e. not much knock down power. The KO plain slugs made a much larger hole but was about 3 in. to the left.

Gun Hunt 2012 017 500.JPG Big Buck 7.JPG

Attachments

• Big Buck 6.JPG
    Big Buck 6.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm sorry for this but I must ask. What is wrong with the hole a regualr slug puts through a deer? The regular slugs seemed to work for 100 yrs.
Just how much bigger of a hole is needed? I no longer use a slug gun but the grandsons do at times.
I use a 44 mag pistol with solid cast lead bullets and shot end to end on deer when I have to. I have never recovered a bullet and that's what I want 2 holes. Never seen a need for expanding bullets. If a decent shot placement is made it's a done deal.
I guess I am just too cheap to buy the sabot slugs due to the cost. When my regualr slugs shoot one inch groups at 50 yds with my 32 yr old Rem 1100 with a slug barrel I never seen the reason to change.
I do understand the the sabot rounds are supposed to shoot accurate at longer ranges.
Frank

RedBud

Dayton
The regular slug is good at 50 yards but for 100 yards or more, a sabot is much more accurate assuming you have a rifled barrel. The larger the hole the more knock down power. A regular slug produces a large hole and has the desired knock down power. Some sabots don't. You are trading knock down power for better accuracy. I believe I get both with the KO sabots.