Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do all southern Ohio deer have tics?

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I've gotten in three deer this year from down south. One from Jackson county. One from Meigs county, and not sure about the other. These things are covered in tics. I was just wondering if all the county's down there have this problem? These farm country deer up here,I don't ever recall seeing at tic on one.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I suppose the deer we have up here in auglaize have some, but these had hundreds. The one from Jackson had some so big when you touched them with a scalpel the would pop. I talked to the guy that shot the deer. He has been hunting down there for years. Said they hunt a lot of reclaimed strip mines, lots of grass the bucks always seem to be covered. The does not as bad. I guess that kind of tells ya we're to look for the bucks. :smiley_chinrub:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Do they drop off or die once the winter weather sets in or do they hang on the the skin warm and protected year round?

(Ticks give me the heebeejeebees)

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
My southern Ohio buck had tons of ticks too. They weren't really noticable until the morning after, don't they always look worse the morning after, lol. After the carcass cooled down they crawled out of the hide and were everywhere!

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Yep, shot mine on Nov 4th in Muskingum and was covered in Ticks. The processor said it was one of the worst he's come across.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Them deer ticks are a lot smaller than those wood ticks TOO! A buddy of mine killed a buck a couple years ago and when I stopped by to look at it(Morgan Co) I saw two of em right off the bat. One was crawling along a main beam.lol

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Haha! Very interesting thread. I noticed on my buck, after capeing him out. The hide was crawling with the damn things! I bet I pulled 40 of them fuggars off of him. Hope Derry Null doesn't charge me extra for tick infestation...lol.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Anybody know?

My buddy told me this morning that they can lay dormant for up to 20 years in the woods... Gonna look into that!

He is a taxidermist and gets tons of deer with ticks on em. He drops them into the deep freezer for a few hours to kill em, but some still live after that... Pretty resilient little pricks! My brother had one on him last Saturday...