Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Had to do it

Kaiser878

ohio
It has been a long 2 weeks of deer hunting.. With over 80 hours in a stand and not releasing an arrow, I was feeling a little beaten and bruised. The one farm I was huntnig has been very good to me in the past.. With almost every sit producing 10-15 deer sitings I figured I would eventually have to see a good buck....Well this has not been the case..

Tonight I found myself with one last antlerless tag in my pocket I needed to fill before next friday....I told myself that if a good doe came through I was going to shoot her. I set on on the top of the ridge so hopefully when I shot she wouldnt run into the chasm of hell...Once again it was relatively slow again tongiht until about 445.. I heard a rustle to my right and new what was the cause of it.. I stood up and prepared myself...Out of the thicket came 2 big does and a button buck..One of the does was a deer I knew from last year who had a double white throat patch...She wasa fawn last year and is a beautiful 1.5 yo this year. Almost her whole entire neck in the front is white...I was going to shoot her, but then I thought about it and decided that was a good deer to keep around, since she would be easy to distinguish for years to come..Granted she didnt get shot by someone else..

So they made their way toward me and I zeroed in on the other nice doe...They were at about 25 yards and quartering away..I settled my top pin and squeezed it off.. I instantly saw blood and knew her time was up. She made it about 50 yards and fell over... It felt good to release an arrow on a deer after such a daunting season so far......

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on the doe Zach.... The way your seasons going maybe this will be the turn around...... :smiley_coolpeace:

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Congrats on the doe Zach. Keep at it it will hopefully turn around soon for ya.

Kaiser878

ohio
Thats a good sized doe congrats. is that a Hoyt matrix? when did you start shooting a hoyt?

No its a maxxis 31. I have been shooting Hoyts since nov of 2009. I started shooting for them for 3D stuff in January of 2010... Im curious to see what happens this year..Im sure they are not gonig to be pleased with me. Last year I had a great showing at the Indoor worlds in cleveland and a not so good showing at the keystone national in Harrisburg..Then after that I never attended another national shoot..I burnt myself out early and jsut wasnt feelnig it... I Was shooting for upwards of 3-4 hours a day, and I got tired of the serious side of it. I shoot a Vector turbo for 3D... I thought about getting another hunting bow from them, but I just like the feel of that maxxis so much I cant see myself getting rid of it.. It feels like an extension of my arm. It is probably my favorite bow I have ever owned...