Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What I know...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Here's a clue Huck....i spent a lot of time at the hospital yesterday so I could spend some time "away".....today.

How's that?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
The only pic I have is the one I sent Jesse, I have no way of posting it tonight. If Jesse could put those pictures up I would appreciate it.

Here's the story, i sat in a blind this morning at another location and had 5 big does come by right off the bat, no bucks following. Then about 9 o'clock, 4 more big does came by heading the same direction. I decided to get in the the truck and take a ride to another place that I have permission to hunt. It consists of a large deep ditch that runs runs through the middle of an open section with zero woods. There is a 2 acre weed patch that is out in the middle along along the ditch that will occasionally hold a deer or 2. So about 10 I decide to just park along the road and and take a long slow walk along the ditch, through the weed patch and back along the west section of ditch and then back to the truck....probably about a 3/4 mile hike total....

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
So I start heading across the corn stubble heading for the first section of ditch and weedpatch when im halfway there I look to the northwest and see a good sized deer about 600 yards away on the move and quickly heading south to the ditch that im walking north to get to...except the ditch runs east-west where he is headed and he is 600 yards west going south. I quickly scoped him and knew it was a was good buck right away, so I ducked down in the cornstalks and watched him get to the ditch, stand there and look around for a bit, then he went down into the deep ditch and disappeared....

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Evidently the buck never saw me walking across the field because he never seemed to look my way. So I stay as low as i can and quickly close the distance to the west to a north south lateral ditch that dumps into the ditch the buck has just went into. After 300 yards of that my lungs were burning from breathing in the cold air, so I hunkered down on the ditchbank and pondered my next move while i caught my breath....